Kobe ground beef

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
Aldi has Kobe ground beef this week for $7/lb.
It's 85/15, more lean than I normally like for burgers, but I've always wanted to try it, so I plan to buy some.

Anyone made Kobe burgers, and if so, what's your opinion?

Aldi has Kobe ground beef this week for $7/lb.
It's 85/15, more lean than I normally like for burgers, but I've always wanted to try it, so I plan to buy some.

Anyone made Kobe burgers, and if so, what's your opinion?

It sounds good, although 85/15 seems kind of lean. I need to check our Aldi.

Anybody want to buy a bridge, cheap?
Sorry but, ground beef is all about fat to lean ratio, isn't it? Great way to use trimmings from Kobe beef but, at $7.00/lb. I'm not buying. This is at Aldi?
Call me anything but late to dinner but, how can you trace this as being Kobe? I look at it from the standpoint of how some chefs look at spices, "Buy them as near the whole as possible! Ground nutmeg? Might as well be floor sweepings."
All that said, I'm sure it will be pretty good! A good burger is is always good!

Last edited:
I have read that it is very unusual to be able to get real Kobe beef here in the States due to the process of making and exporting it and that it is often mislabeled.

I'd like to hear a conversation about Kobe beef in general.

Let's begin a new thread: KOBE BEEF - FACTS AND MYTHS

Rita

Last edited:
Well, it could be waygu. The fat in waygu still melts athe a different temp than regular beef so it could take on a different taste.

I went to Aldi today, couldn't find any in the meat case and didn't ask.
So I only know what the ad says.
I agree about the fat level for burgers, I like 75/25, 80/20 is okay, but the ground beef at my local Costco is now 85/15.
Great for chili, meatloaf, etc. but hard for me to keep thicker burgers juicy, so I usually make smash burgers with it, thin and crispy on a griddle.

I'm pretty sure we can't that kind of ground beef here. I have read that the best hamburger is ground chuck. Not sure of the percentages. Cliff Bartlett made some beautiful burgers with ground brisket. Again not sure what the lean/fat percentage is there.

Hey Bob,

Aldi meat specials start on Wednesdays so it would not be out yesterday. I'll stop by mine tonght and check.

Hey Bob,

Aldi meat specials start on Wednesdays so it would not be out yesterday. I'll stop by mine tonght and check.
I looked at the ad again and you're right, what I saw was March 29 to April 1, but that was for produce picks of the week only.
Thanks!

Almost forgot, I went over to the local Aldi and looked at the "Kobe style" beef. It had traveled half way around the world from Australia.
Thought to myself that I would rather try genuine Kobe beef in Japan, another "maybe someday". Went over to our local butcher and bought
2 lbs of ground sirloin @ 3.49 a lb and thought that I got the better deal. Maybe I'll never know, but that plane ticket money could buy a lot more beef raised
right here......

Back