Charcoal time

When you aim for 225o, I put the meat in when it hits 170-180 and choke the vents down a bit at the same time. This is so you don't overshoot your target. As in your other thread, you're finding it's difficult to lower the temps when over-shot.

Others let it get to temp, let the smoke go to "blue smoke" and then put the meat in. I"ve never gotten "ashtray" taste putting the meat in as I described.

Do what you feel comfortable with or experiment with both methods.

Whatever works is what you want ;)

I don't wait at all. I dump the coals, add the wood, assemble the cooker and put the meat on. Like Len, I've never had any "ashtray" taste.

I'm usually cooking in the 250-275 range. I wait till the heavy smoke starts to subside then I add my meat and wood.

I used to not wait when I adjusted my vents manually but, currently, I use an ATC. While using it, I let my unit approach temp manually, then power-up the ATC once I know it won't run at 100% for an extended period of time, and place my meat at that point. But then again I have dozens of smokes under my belt as opposed to hundreds or thousands, and I do change my methods periodically.

I'm with Carl H. & Chris W. Assemble everything together, & get cooking. When your cook temp is about 30ºf from your target start to close in the lower vents.

Back