Weber Summit s-470 or Genesis LX II S-440

Weber Summit s-470 or Genesis LX II S-440?

Hello everyone. Newbie here. I'm in the market for a new grill to replace a 15 year old Genesis. I have narrowed it down to the Summit S-470 or the new Genesis LX II S-440. I like the searing feature in the Summit, but I'm not sure I would ever use the other features such as the rotisserie or smoker. Looking at about a $250 difference in price at a local retailer. Any help in deciding would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Believe me once you use a rotisserie on a proper grill you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

T'were it me, I'd get the S-470. For me, the built in rotisserie with burner and the smoker box make it a no-brainer. I throw smoke into just about everything I grill- having a built in smoker box would be nice, and that rotisserie might not be a "use every week" kind of thing, but that rotisserie burner is better than trying to do it with the normal burners. There's really nothing that S-470 won't do, and adding a roti to the Genesis would narrow the price a bit (and nothing would give you the burner).

Really, that S-470 is kind of my ideal gas grill, the only thing I'd add would be a cover and another handle light (I like LOTS of light... I have two on my Genesis). For only $250 more, I'd definitely make the jump.

Of curiosity, is the proper grill one that offers more distance between burner and spit? If so, how much more distance is allowed from the S-470 vs. E-330? And then, is there an advantage with E-W burners vs. N-S? Thx.

There is a definite advantage to the E/W burners over N/S. Especially on rotisserie cooking. Frankly the n/s Genesis models are useless for rotisserie cooking. Hence the big advantage of that Summit 470 with the rear burner. If rotisserie cooking is in your future find an e/w Genesis or get a grill with a rear rotisserie burner. Otherwise for "normal" cooking there is no advantage one way or the other. Frankly the Genesis is too small a grill to take advantage of n/s burner design IMO anyway.

Back