Electric vs Gas Oven Efficiency

WBegg

TVWBB Pro
I always test my homemade thermocouples in an oven, and until recently, has always been in an electric oven. Ive posted a few threads on how inefficient they are, ranging from set temps with wild 20 degree swings. I just moved into a new house that has a 1952 Wedgewood Stove/Oven and thought about updating until I did the temp test. I could not believe my eyes! Spot on, even with an "analogue" 1952 dial to set the temp!

I have a test going right now if y'all would like to take a look

It just amazes me how "dumbed down" appliances have gotten over the years. Thank GOD they haven't come up with a form of fake BBQ methods (oh wait, they have. It's called liquid smoke).

Last edited:
OK, I may have been a bit premature. The temp is seeming to climb over time. I've never cooked anything in an oven this long, so we'll let it go a few hours longer to see how it goes.

We too just bought a house and we will be going from electric to gas. But, we have a convection gas oven. It should be very stable also .

Oh, it's settled down now. I notice that trice the homemade TC, Maverick, and Thermoworks probes are tracking spot on. This is like a dance of commons. I can only see one line because all three are dancing in unison. Cool!

And with NO calibration.

Last edited:

Back