Probe Holder

WBegg

TVWBB Pro
Hey y'all,

Found this on Thingiverse, and it fits the bill for a way to cleanly store your probes. It fits both the Maverick and Thermoworks probes well. I printed a few ...

ZExqCj2.jpg

It can be found here

Last edited:
O M G !!! I NEED THIS!!!! That is way cool, I love it. :( but no 3d printer for me :( Can I pay a buddy to print a few?????:confused:

Are you going to be selling these and if so, how much. Seems like a good idea. Any idea how well they will hold up?

wonder if it had another probe 'tube-holder' on the opposite corner if it could hold two probes on one piece....

also, does the jack end 'snap' anywhere, or does it move freely?....

How did I miss this post? These are pretty damn cool. I just printed one myself, but I feel like it needs more features. Some way of holding the plug end would be great. Also if they were designed with a second set of notches in both pieces, you could also print a snap in connector piece in the middle and then stack multiple probes together in one block. Maybe reduce the amount of plastic because golly this uses 1/4 the plastic used to print an entire v4.3 case!

Love em.
My probes were stored with twist ties, and were prone to kinks and sharp bends. No more!
I like Bryan's idea of stacking them.....maybe a drop of super glue.

rO7jtDz.jpg

My probes were stored with twist ties, and were prone to kinks and sharp bends. No more!
I like Bryan's idea of stacking them.....maybe a drop of super glue.
All mine are too (twist tied and kinked)! I must have at least 20 probes I use for testing so I have a whole pile of them. I like the superglue idea, that would work for sure.

Those look cool and can be gotten in a few days. Will try them. Has anyone else tried these?

So do these:

The left piece you duplicate for as many probes as you need, then there's a top cap piece that seals the last chamber. The plates are reversible (180 rotation around Z) so you have the option of having all the probes stack up or have them alternate sides. Having them all facing the same direction means they're right on top of each other which forms a seal that can keep the wire from unraveling. I think I am going to add a piece that sticks out to the top as well so it can seal the last chamber too. Also I still need to do a little tweaking to it because they fit together, but I have to whack them with a hammer to make them fit. That's a little too close a tolerance. I'll post the model on Thingiverse and have them in the HeaterMeter store once I've got it worked out.

This is built from scratch using OpenSCAD, but it can load STL files as well to incorporate into designs. You really can't edit STL files because it is like trying to make an apple out of applesauce. What you can do is import the STL and then do boolean operations on it or attach it to your own design. I've used this functionality for things like cutting a NERF gun mount off an existing model from Thingiverse then strapping it to my own ammo holder for my nephew. It is crude but it sort of works for basic stuff like that.

This on the other hand is a completely "brand new" design. Brand new in that it starts from a couple cylinders and becomes what you see there, but derivative in that the overall dimensions and concept came from SteBoo's design. I'm not entirely sure that building something new from scratch that resembles a copyright work would count as a new creation or would be considered an adaptation.

I found these on Thingiverse that also look like a derivative of the original design. I like how the probe is held more securely in place with the flexible section.
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2138909

Here's a holder that allows them to be stacked:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2140914
Yeah I saw that too while I was sitting here waiting for the final version to finish printing. That guy also has a version 2 with an integrated cavity for holding a pair of magnets so it sticks to the fridge. Before I saw that I tried earlier today just gluing a magnet to the back of my design and it worked fine for 1 probe, but two probes slowly slid down the side of my fridge but stuck to the handle of the big green egg. Three probes it wouldn't hold on anywhere. Two magnets would help but they'd also have to go through the plastic if you put them inside, and force drops off as a cube of the distance, so that would compromise their strength pretty severely.

EDIT: Oops forgot to post a link to my stackable probe spool thing. I'll probably have these available in the HeaterMeter store in a day or two.

Last edited:

Back