Cooking Ribs For Family

Robert T

TVWBB Guru
We had Kim's niece in town tonight for her daughter's dance recital on Saturday (ah the memories!). Of course we had them stay at our house and of course I want to make some good barbecue for our guests. Luckily I had this week off work on vacation so I was able to put a whole day into it. I decided to make ribs. I hardly ever use the big WSM anymore but was excited to get the big fella out. I figured 5 guests plus us is about 4 racks of ribs. Here they are rubbed with mustard and on the counter.

image_zpsl17cez6s.jpeg

I have only cooked in the basement maybe two or three times since I've owned my WSM so I decided I was going to foil the ribs today.

image_zps7jpkd07y.jpeg

And here it is fully loaded.

image_zpslsl1vmio.jpeg

Since our guests arrival time was kind of up in the air I did not want to cook these ribs at a high temp. But the beauty of the WSM is as soon as it settled in the temp was like a rock for the duration of the cook.

image_zpspfaxenpi.jpeg

I cooked our tried and true baked bean recipe. The only difference was that my grandpa's old CI dutch oven cracked and broke as I tried to prepare it for the cook. I had to scramble to go purchase a new Lodge dutch oven and still stay on my timeline. It worked out fine.

image_zps9xpkuxim.jpeg

image_zpsjbvrvgma.jpeg

Time to foil. Assembly line for the ribs.

image_zpseo5p9mal.jpeg

Out of the foil and back on the smoker after about four hours.

image_zpsprlsvyuu.jpeg

Pulled the ribs at about 5 hours. Beans done. Everything looks good. Plated it all.

image_zpsae1tecgo.jpeg

image_zpsnzvsu4oq.jpeg

Our guests had not had a lot of experience with barbecue so they were in heaven. Everything turned out great. I have to say that I never wrap my ribs and have had a lot of success. But these were just a little better. I will probably not make this my go to method but it did turn out crazy good.

As always thanks for looking!

Have a great weekend!

Marvelous cook Robert. Ribs are outstanding with beautiful color and your beans are gorgeous. Perfect sides for a great rib dinner. Bummer about your Grandpa's Dutch Oven. Hate to lose something with that much history, especially family history.

WOW!!! Robert those ribs and beans awesome. Everything on that plate look delicious. You guys did great.

I didn't get the invitation on time (again). ; ' ) Everything looked good.

I have a keg of "Fat & Tired" (my FT Clone) in my keezer (keg-freezer)...right next to 2 kegs of "Sorry Nevada" Pale Ale (and a 3rd one in the primary fermenter).

I didn't get the invitation on time (again). ; ' ) Everything looked good.

I have a keg of "Fat & Tired" (my FT Clone) in my keezer (keg-freezer)...right next to 2 kegs of "Sorry Nevada" Pale Ale (and a 3rd one in the primary fermenter).

Bill Fat Tire is my favorite! How close to the original is it? I'll bet its terrific!

Thanks everyone for the nice comments!

Food looks awesome - I'm sure your guests were very happy.

Sorry to hear about the DO.

Back