Brisket Diner Burgers and Sea Salt and Vinegar Chips

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
Finally got to my Brisket Diner Burgers the other night. They are made with home ground brisket, a pound of point and another pound of the flat. These style burgers are apparently served in roadside Diners across the Country. I actually started working on this cook around 3 weeks ago. One delay after another forced me to freeze the meat after the grind. Anyway, these were one of the best tasting burgers I've done, my wife said the best. They are done on a griddle, screaming hot, in this case my Mojoe. They are topped with grilled onions, bacon, American Cheese and whatever condiments you like. I used mustard and ketchup. Seasoned with Cattlemen's Grill California Tri-Tip Seasoning. I wanted to do something besides fries or Tots to go with the meal and decided on these Salt and Vinegar "Chips", also done on the griddle. Here goes.

The brisket, 1 lb. point, 1 lb. flat.

First grind coarse.

Ran it through again fine.

Got started on some prep work. Used a pound of these fingerlings for the Chips.

Next step the slicing and remaining ingredients. That's a nice coarse sea salt.

Burger ingredients. The lettuce and tomato were for my wife's burger.

Got the bacon going on the griddle.

I boiled the potatoes in the white vinegar for about 5 minutes before putting them on the griddle along with the onions. Seasoned the onions with some of the tri-tip seasoning as well.

Getting there.

One drawback of the Mojoe is it entirely covers the kettle and makes for less effective pictures. Obviously impossible to see the grill setup. I had the charcoal on the front part of the kettle and left a cool space towards the rear of the grill. Used that here and moved the onions and potatoes there and got the burgers on over the heat. These burgers are 4 oz. of meat, flattened extremely thin, 1/8" or so. Used my lodge press to flatten them on the griddle over the heat and held press on each one for 10 seconds, using parchment paper to prevent meat from sticking to press.

Last edited:
Flipped and wow, the crust was terrific.

Poured some water on the griddle and added the cheese. Covered with SS bowl and steamed for about at minute.

Added some melted butter to the griddle and gave the buns a quick toast.

Plated shots.

There you go. Loved this cook and meal. I have enough ground brisket to do this again and I certainly will down the road. Hope you all have a great weekend. We're in for more windy, wet weather up here. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Cliff those are some great burgers. They remind me of the old drive in burgers we used to get when we were young. Before McDonalds and Burger King ruled the roost. That double burger plated pic is killer! Great job on those burgers.

Oh, yeah!!! I've got four packages of ground brisket just for this meal, Cliff, and I'm thinking it's gotta happen soon now that I see that goodness on your plate! Very nice!

R

That's the way to do it! Absolutely outstanding Cliff, got to tell you I'm going to steal the whole show my friend.
Looks like we're going to get what you're getting in a day or so.

WOW!!! Cliff that is outstanding. Love the burgers and the chips. Like Rich said that's going on the menu real soon. Everything was out of sight great job.

Amazing burger meal! I'm making burgers tonight and will surely be disappointed after seeing this.

Back