Insulate WSM in warm weather?

DaveL

I've spotted some large diameter metal ducting that will fit over my 14.5" WSM with a 2" clearance around the edges.

Do you think it's worth using to create a heat retaining barrier around the WSM? I've read people use blankets in winter but I don't use my WSM in very cold weather.

I'm just wondering if it's worth the space in my garage along with all my other project items!

I'd be greatful of your thoughts.

Yea, I dunno
Could be useful or maybe not.?
What the heck give it a shot and let us know .:)

Tim

I use a welding blanket when it's cold or the wind's blowing. I also have a 4 ft wall that I set up when I feel it's necessary.

IMO, any type of cover that will help retain heat (where it's needed/should be) can't hurt.

FWIW, assuming it's ROUND, I would cut in half (on the vertical as it stands on end) and add hinges (with removable pins) to both pieces so you can open it for removal and separate them for easy transport and storage. It'll beat lifting it over the smoker.

I've made two variations as I had alot of duct to play with.
The taller version would allow a lid over the top to restrict rising heat loss but I'm slightly concerned about it being galvanised..
I plan to measure the WSM internal temperature before and with each piece of ducting in place.
It could of course produce no gain but nothing ventured, nothing gained!

insulate.png

Bill, I like the idea for it being hinged, even just for storage. Let's hope it works out well.

Last edited:
I don't think I'd want to block off the wind at the bottom with that. Not needed IMO in the warm weather; as Dustin says it's usually more difficult to keep the temps low.

That sure would make a good wind break, tho'. I would think about hinging it, then let it set in place open but blocking the wind.

Just a thought...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

That sure would make a good wind break, tho'. I would think about hinging it, then let it set in place open but blocking the wind.

Just a thought...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I agree with the hinges. Opening it a bit will allow air circulation into the bottom.

I noted earlier that I use a welding blanket when the wind blows. That's because my nearest neighbors are about 70+ meters on either side of me and we don't have fences. The end of my property is about 100 meters to the tree line and there are farm fields on 3 sides of that. So, I'm basically out in the open and at the mercy of any breeze that comes through even though I am under a deck.

Someday I hope to build a portable "outhouse" structure to wheel my smoker into (it's on a dolly). That should help with the breezes both in summer and winter.

Back