Suitable for camping...?

Charlie C

Hi folks. I am planning on getting out with the family and doing a fair bit of camping this summer (if we get one here in Ireland, that is) and I am in the process of getting all the necessary kit together. Now when I say camping, I am not talking wild camping or anything too extreme. We will just be staying at family friendly campsites for the most part, most of which will have cooking facilities available. But I would like to take along a barbecue as well as it is my preferred way of cooking and adds to the overall camping experience. I have a Master Touch in the back garden, but that is a little big to dragging around the country with us in the family car. So I am in the market for a more camping friendly model of Weber. Something that lends itself to being easily transported while still offering enough capacity to cook for the whole family (of which there are 4 of us). I was hoping for some model recommendations based on the past experiences of others. Would a Smokey Joe be suitable? I've been checking out the prices of both new and used Smokey Joe's for sale on http://www.for-sale.ie/ and they seem reasonable. Any thoughts folks?

white_question_mark.png

Last edited:
Hi Charlie,
For camping, when we were young we used to buy one of these. Cheap and easy.
If we didn´t have enough space to bring it back we gave it to someone in the camping. T

Last year a friend of mine bought one. He keeps it, since it was almost new, for this year. I'll borrow it if I go camping a week this year.

barbacoa-clasica-roja.jpg

A jumbo Joe should suit your needs. Its small yet has plenty of room to cook on and the lid locks in place so the thing will stay intact while traveling. I carry one of those in our camper along with a 14" WSM to use when we have potlucks with big groups.

As mentioned before, Jumbo Joe is the way to go. Plenty of room to cook and compact enough to travel with.

That's a shame about the Jumbo Joe. I'll take a look at the Go Anywhere instead. Thanks guys! Much appreciated.

Back