Knives

Robert T

TVWBB Guru
Can anyone recommend any knives that are good quality that won't break the bank? We've been using these Sams Club knives for about five years and we would like something better.

Yes working knives for chopping and general kitchen work. Thanks for the tip I will google that. Very nice of you to respond!

I also recommend the Victorinox knives. Have been using them for a little less than a year and am very happy with them. They hold an edge very well and are not expensive. I have been getting mine form Amazon. You can't go wrong with these.

We have a Wusthof Classic set that we got for our Wedding in 1995 - it has served us very well and still looks nearly new.
These can be a bit pricey, but they hold an edge VERY well and I like the heft and balance of them.

Another option would be to pay attention to the 3 or so longer knives that you find yourself using most often - and then get the highest-quality version of that select handful that you can afford.
(To a large degree - you get what you pay for, but cheaper knives will usually be fine for those that you only use occasionally or those that are subject to light loads.)

Once you get your new knives - whatever you choose, one aspect that often gets overlooked is how you STORE them:

Tossing them into a drawer, where the edges can knick together is probably the worst possible option.

Use something that keeps the knives SEPARATED, where anything that contacts the edge is soft, like wood, bamboo, or air.
Some good options are:
-A drawer organizer specifically designed for a cutlery set
-A counter-top knife block (keeps' em handy and keeps 'em sharp)
-Wood-sheathed magnetic blocks if your blades will work with magnets stuck on the backsplash or a cabinet side

Just a little food for thought...

Last edited:
I have many different knives, but, value wise I would have to agree on Victorinox, excellent for the price! Storage is CRITICAL! Think about it, the edge is just that "an edge" they will suffer damage more easily than you might expect.
I'm not one to put them in drawer or the dishwasher! You pick up the knife, use the knife, wash the knife, put the knife away. Don't leave it in the sink, don't put it in the dishwasher! I have the first decent knife I bought when I was 14, a 10" walnut handled Chicago Cutlery chefs knife, edge is still excellent. Learning how to take care of even cheap knives is important, learn to use a steel. I have only needed to have any of them professionally sharpened every few years unless I have a guest who insists on "helping" or "sharpening" my knives. Having a fairly large collection to draw from helps, no "set" will ever have everything, you will need to pick and choose some more specific pieces for more specific projects. I bought a "Giant" breaking knife when my brother started talking about doing more large scale projects, that hasn't happened but, I'm prepared!
Just one mans perspective!
Additional thought,
I prefer a 10" chefs knife (I also have a 12") which really is my go to piece of equipment. Most "sets"don't include them. They will give you usually an 8" as the largest.

Last edited:
I also recommend the Victorinox knives. Have been using them for a little less than a year and am very happy with them. They hold an edge very well and are not expensive. I have been getting mine form Amazon. You can't go wrong with these.

Please add me to the list.................

Robert, after thinking about this for a bit I think my basic "block" would probably have,
1-10" chef knife (best affordable, Victorinox excellent value)
1- fillet knife
1- fairly stiff boning knife
1- "utility" knife (essentially a 6" scaled down chefs knife)
2- paring knives 1-straight, one birds beak) I like the curved one for peeling fruit!
1-serious long tined fork (I have bayonet and flat tined)
A cleaver is a nice tool too
And a steel!
One day I will have to to a full on inventory, just off the top of my head I can think of five chefs knives in various blocks or "porta kitchen" tool boxes.
Good luck, I've been collecting this stuff for over 40 years, some pieces I use a lot some, not so much. Four cleavers might seem a bit excessive to some but, I'm weird!

So, you're saying I shouldn't be using my belt sander to sharpen my knives? :rolleyes:

(I figured it was time for some comedy relief...)

Victorinox would be my pic and a Works Sharp knife sharpener to keep every thing in the house cutting great

Agree completely. Only difference is my Works Sharp is the Ken Onion Edition. Works great and am very happy with it. Keeps all my knives in great condition. That and a good steel is the way to go.

We use waterstones (400 1000 4000 8000), but have a KMG-8 belt grinder with the 1 1/2hp motor waiting to be set up.
(Son was going to make custom single edge razors...)

Mike, why are you putting the WOODEN handled Chicago cutlery in the DW? Would you put your deer antler in there? Would you put your wooden dining room table through the car wash? Don't mean to sound scolding but, gee!
The way I had been trained was when you pick up the knife don't let it out of your hand until you HAND WASH it and return it to it storage spot.
I just finally have pounded safe knife care into my brother in law after 20 years! He has always put good cutlery in the DW and this visit, he actually hand washed the stuff!
Bob, my brother uses a Japanese waterstone with frighteningly good results! He did a job on my biggest cleaver and I have stored it waaaaaay out of reach of anyone but myself. Dropping the back edge on the "down" sidewould take off a toe by sheer weight, blade edge down, bye bye foot!

Last edited:

Back