Knives to trim fat

Ryan O

Hi All,

Looking to purchase a quality knife (off amazon if possible) mostly to trim fat off the meat before I cook.

Any suggestions? Hoping there is a hidden gem for a reasonable price.

Thanks!

Don't know how quality they are, but I've used just about any knife I own so long it's sharp.
Any 6 -8" stiff boning knife will work fine, the white handle ones clean up easier then the wood ones. My favorite lately is a cheap re-ground 10" chefs knife, I paid $2 for it. :)

I agree with Bob, the victorinox are a great value! Cheap knives are not really anything more than cheap knives. A reground chefs knife might be just fine if it was a good knife in the first place. I have several hundred dollars (if not more) tied up in cutlery, some has proven a great addition to the block some just sit, for whatever reason. Another good value as much as it gets ridiculed are Cutco knives. If you know someone that's worth having a look. You can always get the Victorinox at most restaurant supply places.
The important thing is to learn how to KEEP IT SHARP! You could buy a five hundred dollar hand made beautifully crafted knife and, without learning how to maintain it you'd be just as well off with a ten dollar thing from the grocery store.

Welcome to the forum Ryan.
I've got an older 5.5" Henckels boning knife that I use, but highly recommend Victorinox.

000_0169.jpg

Last edited:
Well... it depends..:)

I don't like curved, can't really say why, but it doesn't feel natural, to me. Flexible is used a lot in flaying fish, good for getting the skin off, but I know a lot of cutters that use a semi stiff for fish.
With pro meat cutters, most common boning knife I see is a 6" straight stiff blade. For trimming, an 8" is good too. You can get used to most any thing, but the secret is keep them sharp.

Back