3/8" rod SS cooking grates now available for the WGA

Jason_P

TVWBB Member
Hi All,

As some of you may recall a couple years ago I designed a 3/8" SS split cooking grate for the WGA and had "rcplanebuyer" from eBay make one up for me as a one-off. He did this as a favor for helping him create the SS Flavorizer Plate that I know many of you WGA gasers are now using and he has been very successful in selling (over 368 sold). At that time he had no interest in putting my grate design into production, however it now appears he has that interest as I saw the following pop up on eBay last night from him: http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-8-Stainle...356040?hash=item2122f44ac8:g:TDAAAOSwdGFY0IbG

This is great news for those of you that had interest in the grate I had made. The two differences between the one-off he made for me and the grate he's now offering is that (1) mine is a split two piece design and the one he's sell in a single piece design like the stocker and (2) my grate has 20 top rods where as this one has 19. 20 were needed for mine to have an even number one both side of the split and this means the spacing on mine are a little closer together.

I know some of you may balk at the $60 plus free shipping price, however IMO its worth every penny for the quality and the heft of these grates. Its also worth noting that the Craycort Go Anywhere grate is $56 once shipping is added in. Not only will they outlast you being SS, the use of 3/8" rods means that they retain heat extremely well, much like the Craycort cast iron grate that is sold for the WGA. The advantage these grates have over the Craycorts is that being SS they will not rust and do not need special care (constant seasoning) like the cast iron Craycorts.

Anyway, I just wanted to pass this along as I was contacted by a number of you all for how to get your hands on the grate I had made. "rcplanebuyer" did not contact me that these were now available, nor did he ask me to post this. I'm choosing to help promote this given (1) the interest this community had in mine version, (2) for the absolute quality of these grates, and (3) b/c they are made right here in the good old USA.

Below is a picture of the new one (taken from the eBay link above) and then below that is the picture of mine:

s-l1600.jpg

...and mine (on the first picture you can see the split in the middle of the grate if you look really close) :

Last edited:
Some additional good news. I had contacted rcplanebuyer via ebay and thanked him for offering these grates. That led to a discussion of the split two piece grate vs the single piece. I relayed to him that a split 2 piece is preferred for the WGA charcoal as it allows for food to be moved to one side of the grill so you can add charcoal by removing 1/2 the grate. He hadn't thought about that but sees the benefit to the charcoal model. We both agreed that the WGA gas model wouldn't have any specific benefit of a 2 piece grate other than maybe a "cool" factor. So with that he's willing to offer a split 2-piece to anyone that wants it, the only caveat being it'll be based on the 19 rod design meaning one side will be a little longer (<1" and have one more rod than the other side)....I sorta see this as an advantage as the extra length on one side will allow for a little more space for food while re-charcoaling.

So if you are interested in a 2-piece split grate he said prior to ordering on ebay that you message him on eBay to let him know you'd like to place an order will be for a split 2 piece. And of course if you're interested in the single piece grate that you just order normally. He's looking to get the item listing to include a option to select one or the other.

Last edited:

Back