Sunday Brisket

M Bailey

With the mild temperatures, lack of wind, and power back on this weekend I thought it was a good a time as any to throw a packer on the smoker. I started with a 14.4 pounder from costco and trimmed a little more than 4 pounds of fat off of it.
20170318_201353_zpss68wlxmq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Copy%20of%2020170318_204247_zpsdfea7c8a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I got the fire rolling around 4:00am with full ring of KBB and some chunks of hickory and pecan.

20170319_040536_zps3sxspe6b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

By 4:30 my WMS was stable and I settled in for a long morning...
20170319_065217_zps1wp9k1jh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I took my first peek at 4 hours in and everything was doing what is was supposed too.

She was ready after roughly 10 hours and probing like warm butter at 202*. I let it rest for 2 hours and removed the point to make the burnt ends.

20170319_160930_zpsd9jvxisj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20170319_171618_zpsbeiafutx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

After another hour of resting, the flat was reading for slicing.

This was the first one I did with wrapping in butcher paper, but oddly enough I didn't take any pictures while it was wrapped. All in all, everything turned out good. Until next time...

Last edited:
That's a wonderful looking brisket. Great looking smoke ring and looks very moist. Keep up the good work.

Great cook, I really need to make a brisket, yours looks to be just right for me, and love those brunt ends I have yet to make those, but they are on my list.

M Bailey that is a wonderful looking brisket. I've made quite a few briskets and have always wondered how to make burnt ends. You knocked that one out of the park! I have to say I might have snacked on that point a bit before putting the cut up pieces back in because it looked so juicy and wonderful. Great cook!

Hi Robert, there's nothing too it. I let the whole brisket rest for at lest two hours, then I remove the point from the flat. After I re-wrap the flat, I cube up the point, put the pieces in a tray, add a little bbq sauce, a little more rub, and put back on the smoker for another hour at 225*. The most important thing I've learned with this method is not overdoing it with the sauce and rub.

You're right about snacking on the point though. Usually, only about 60% or 70% of makes it back on the smoker...

Man that's an awesome looking brisket and the color and smoke ring spot on. Outstanding job looking forward to more of your cooks.

Looks yummy! I will smoke the pork/beef trimmings and sample them throughout the day. If there's meat on it it doesn't really get tossed in the trash.

Back