The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smoke A Rib Roast?

Smoke A Rib Roast?

Hi all,

I have a rib roast that I am planning to thaw out and cook soon. My plan is to cook (smoke?) the roast on the WSM. I thought about using Nick Stellino's coffee rub that we have used on grilled steaks with good success.

I know nothing about beef rib roasts. Is this something that is suited for the low & slow (Minion) cooking method, or should I remove the water pan and cook it like hot & fast chicken? Should I use smoke wood too?
    Last edited by Rusty James; 05-14-2017 at 02:30 PM.
    18.5", 18.5", 14.5", & Royal Oak Lump / Briquettes

Rusty.
    I have cooked rib roasts, (rib of beef in the UK), & I cook them exactly like I would a pork butt. But only take it to an IT of 125F for medium rare, then let it rest for 20 minutes before carving. Delicious!!!
    Minion method, +/-250F cook temp, no water. Rub of your choice. Smoke wood is good. I've used cherry & olive. Hope this helps.

TVWBB Super Fan
    I do mine slow and low with water in the pan. They don't take near as long since you typically take them to 125-135 depending upon how you like it done.

I take my chefs knife and stab in to the top fat cap, pull on the blade and poke a clove of garlic in the hole. I do the clear across the top side. Usually 3 rows about ever inch or two. The goal is to not go deep in the meat. You want the clove sitting just under the fat cap.

Then season the whole prime with Cavanders Greek seasoning. All sides and to the point the meat is green. Then get fresh rosemary strip the leaves off and crush them. Put the leaves on and wrap the prime with plastic wrap. Let it sit for a day or two in the fridge before smoking.

A low and slow rib roast gets you evenly cooked meat throughout. With a high temperature cook the outsides will be more towards will with medium in the middle (a function of the temperature and time). With a low and slow cook, you'll want to sear or reverse sear to get a nice browning on the outside.
    Russell
    If you're not on somebody's *hit list, you're not doing anything worthwhile

Thanks for the great advice, y'all.

As far as internal cooking temps, my family doesn't like bloody meat. What temp should I shoot for if I want a medium roast?

Rusty.
    Shoot for 130F-135F IT. Foil it. Get those coals ripping hot & sear on all sides for a minute each, as Russell suggests, to get a nice wee bit of char on the outside.
    Foil again, & let it rest before carving, & you'll be golden.
    Let us know how it turns out.
    Last edited by TonyUK; 03-21-2017 at 02:29 AM.

TVWBB Super Fan
    I combine a few different techniques when doing my rib roasts. I like to cut along the bones, but leave them attached like a hinge at one end. I then poke holes to insert the garlic cloves. I season the meat under this flap and slay in a few sprigs of fresh rosemary before closing up the flap. I tie the roast to hold the bones on. I rub the meat with oil and season it well.

I cook on my WSM at 225-250 until 118 degrees, then I pull it. I let it rest tented in foil (temp should rise to 125-130 before finishing for 10 minutes in a 500 degree oven to get a good crust. Let it rest again to redistribute the juices. cut off the twine, slice off the bones at the hinge and then you have a boneless roast that is easy to slice. I usually sneak a bone for myself. You'll end up with a nice medium rare throughout the whole roast with a nice crust full of flavor.

I pulled techniques from myself, the website here, The Weber Big Book of Grilling and Alton Brown to come up with this method.
    --------------------------
    2014 26.75" Kettle, 2006 18" WSM, Q 220, 2004 Summit Gold D6

TVWBB Super Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty James View Post
    Thanks for the great advice, y'all.

As far as internal cooking temps, my family doesn't like bloody meat. What temp should I shoot for if I want a medium roast?
    Make a larger pot of Aju and dip the meat in it while its boiling for a min. It wont really cook the meat but it will flash cook the surface so it doesn't appear to be bloody.
    18.5 WSM. 22.5 OTS

TVWBB Super Fan
    This was the one I did last week. All done in the WSM with water and no searing. Smoked at 250-270 with water until an internal temp of 135. The cut meat is the first slice in and it gets a little rarer as you get twards the middle.

18.5 WSM. 22.5 OTS

Mother's Day is coming up, so I'll be smoking it this weekend. Forgot to mention, the butcher removed the meat from the bone, and then tied it back on. I could snip the string, season the whole roast, and re-tie it back on again.

Wonder if Nick Stellino's coffee rub would come in handy here.

That's a good lookin' roast, Booker.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast