Ratatouille, Risotto and Spicy Shrimp

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
My wife just loves eggplant so I decided on Ratatouille for dinner. Sided it up with Risotto and Spicy Shrimp, all done on a couple of my Webers.

Here's most of the ingredients for the Ratatouille.

Sliced up and seasoned with Cattlemen's Grill Tuscan Steak Rub.

Got everything grilled up.

Cut veggies into 1" dice.

Made the marinade for the shrimp using crushed garlic cloves, coarse salt, cayenne, paprika, olive oil and lemon juice. Gave it about an hour in the marinade.

Heated up 5 cups of low sodium chicken broth for the rice. Set it aside for later.

Sweated a cup of chopped shallots for a few minutes and threw in some chopped garlic towards the end.

Cooked the Arborio in the hot chicken broth along with the shallots and some chopped garlic.

Put the veggies I'd grilled earlier in a larger dutch oven and added the San Marzano Tomatoes and chopped garlic. Cooked until hot.

Got the shrimp grilled up.

Last edited:
Pulled the Ratatouille and stirred in the fresh basil, lemon zest and balsamic vinegar.

Plated it up.

Forgot to mention that I stirred a cup of grated Parmigiano Reggiano into the rice just before pulling off grill. This was a fantastic meal and will certainly do it again. Hope everyone is having a nice weekend. Thank you for looking.

Last edited:
I haven't found a way that I like eggplant yet. But I'd have to have a bite of that. Just to see how it tastes. Yeah. That's it! :p

Stunning recipe and technique. Cliff you really know how to cook. I'm not worthy but I love your posts! That looks absolutely fantastic.

Are you kidding me, Cliff?!? Wow! I'd have a hard time pulling that off in the kitchen, let alone on the grill!!! Well done!

Rich

Ratatouille is the only way I've found eggplant edible! And it's darned good that way.
I do love the fact that I read somewhere that the nutritional value of eggplant was only slightly higher than the paper the article was printed on. I felt justified in not much caring for the stuff.
When I do it, I lean toward roasting some plum tomatoes instead of using canned, it makes it just a touch less wet. Personal preference.
It looks like you used at least two grills, or did you use three?

Great looking dinner, there! My wife likes eggplant, but mostly in eggplant parm form. I ate a lot of it growing up, but never really "liked" it. It's nutritionally neutral according to most dietary experts; not "good for you" but not "bad for you". Still, it's usually cheap and available, so if you're looking for something else to do with it, I'd suggest this: Persian Smoked Eggplant Dip with Fried Mint. I made it for a dinner party last Summer and it just disappeared.

Cliff, that looks delicious but I'm not sure about the egg plant. That's not one of my favorite foods by far. But again I would try that just to see, thanks for sharing it with us.

Cliff, that looks delicious but I'm not sure about the egg plant. That's not one of my favorite foods by far. But again I would try that just to see, thanks for sharing it with us.

all that hard work you put into that cooking Cliff and you only came up with this??? :eek:

well, you must be dang exhausted cuz this looks OUTSTANDING!! I'd eat that entire bowl!!
Awesome!!
icon14.png

I can see why the wife keeps you around, I sure would , this meal looks to be fantastic, better than most sit down meals, Cliff you are a master, makes a persons mouth water. Oh I like eggplant young and firm ones great sliced about 1/4 inch thick little oil S&P then on the grill.

My compliments.

Thanks for the terrific comments everyone. I enjoyed reading everyone's take on Eggplant. I'll have to be honest here. I used to dislike it too, for a long time. When I got married my wife loved it so much I gradually warmed up to it and today I really enjoy it. It's probably not my favorite however. It's been an acquired taste for me. Thanks again.

It looks like you used at least two grills, or did you use three?

Timothy. Used two of my 22" Weber kettles for this cook.

I made it for a dinner party last Summer and it just disappeared.

Thanks for that recipe Chad. Will definitely give the dip a try.

Back