Arizona > Phoenix: Hole-in-the-Wall

Brad Olson

TVWBB Diamond Member
Last week my wife and I visited Phoenix and stayed at the Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort, where one of the affiliated restaurants is Hole-in-the-Wall.

Hole-in-the-WallPhoenixAZ20170312_01.jpg

This smoker was in operation but it would be hard-pressed to keep up with demand...

Hole-in-the-WallPhoenixAZ20170312_02.jpg

Hole-in-the-WallPhoenixAZ20170312_03.jpg

...so this commercial unit does the majority of the work. Sorry the photo's a little fuzzy but I had to be in spy mode and shoot it from a distance.

Hole-in-the-WallPhoenixAZ20170312_04.jpg

At first we sat inside.

Hole-in-the-WallPhoenixAZ20170312_05.jpg

But my wife changed her mind and wanted to eat outside.

Hole-in-the-WallPhoenixAZ20170312_06.jpg

Brisket, roast chicken (no smoke), and pork. The brisket was OK although I would've preferred it unsauced, and the pork was actually pretty tasty. The mac & cheese was decent and the jalapeno beans were also very good.

Hole-in-the-WallPhoenixAZ20170312_07.jpg

I don't eat potato salad but my wife does, although she rated this smoked version just OK. The sauces (L-R) were a somewhat sweet red, a blueberry-chipotle that wasn't too fruity nor spicy, and a jalapeno sauce that brought some heat.

Hole-in-the-WallPhoenixAZ20170312_08.jpg

Two days later we stopped in again and split a half rack of ribs. My wife was a little concerned that the jalapeno creamed corm might be too spicy but it wasn't bad at all.

Hole-in-the-WallPhoenixAZ20170314_1.jpg

The ribs had good flavor but were too soft for me as the meat came off the bone way too easily and didn't have much chew.

Hole-in-the-WallPhoenixAZ20170314_2.jpg

Overall we thought the food was pretty good although some items were better than others. And Pointe Hilton is a nice place to stay, especially for families (there were tons of kids there).

Back