Naan?

JRicks

TVWBB Member
Any one have a good naan recipe they care to share? Also can it be cooked on a gasser? Thanks in advance!

Can't help, unfortunately. I would love to learn how to make Naan, having tried a bunch of times but never satisfied with the results.

I made naan a while back.
In the gas oven (yeah, the normal one inside my house. I know it is heresy).
They puffed up nicely...
And suddenly I realise I made pita bread that time :eek:

I should have some naan recipes as well.
Will get back to you

JRicks, No tandor? No worries. :) Cook's Illustrated has a couple of naan recipes (with videos) HERE. Cook's is a reliable source. They recommend cooking the breads on the stovetop in a covered skillet in order to keep them moist. They say that the oven or grill tends to dry them out more.

One of the other recipes is for the grill but when I checked, it called for purchased naans.

Another good possibility would be the naan recipe in "The New Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day" by Hertzberg and Francois. The method is very easy - stir a batch of dough together (no kneading) and store it in the refrigerator to bake within about 14 days. They also skillet-bake their naans. They have a neat website with recipes, articles, and a Q & A. The naan recipes I see in this link appear to be from the first edition of their book. The "New" book now includes weights for the ingredients, thank goodness. The "New" edition was published in 2013. They have several other bread books out, including one for pizza and flatbreads one for whole grains, and one for gluten free. Here is another naan link.

If you can't find ghee, there are plenty of simple how-tos on the Internet. If you haven't made it before, you'll find yourself using it for other things. It has more flavor than clarified butter.

Rita

Last edited:

Back