Question About Thermoworks Smoke

JRAiona

TVWBB Gold Member
My wife surprised me with a Thermoworks Smoke. I have a question for those that use one. The connection where the cable meets the probe is considerably larger than the Igrill I was using. How are you fitting it through the grommet on your WSM?

My wife surprised me with a Thermoworks Smoke. I have a question for those that use one. The connection where the cable meets the probe is considerably larger than the Igrill I was using. How are you fitting it through the grommet on your WSM?
I believe these are the same probes that come with the Dot which is what I use. It takes some pressure but I'm able to shove the probes through the grommet. The silicone is quite forgiving.

I've always shoved the connector through the grommet from the inside regardless of what I'm using. I think its just easier on your probes. You really don't want to pull the probe back out through the grommet in my opinion because it can tear up the protective piece that insulates the probe from the wire.

That's what I was thinking as well Dustin. I appreciate the confirmation. I'm planning on taking it out for it's maiden voyage with some ribs tomorrow.

That was something I had thought about. I have to see if I can get my hands on a grinder.

If you have a Dremel tool it takes about 5 minutes. Works like a charm.

You'll love the Smoke too, I got mine for Christmas, works great.

I have a newer cooker with the factory installed grommet and a Thermoworks smoke. I just push them into the long opening slowly, one at a time. It's a tight squeeze, but they absolutely fit, no problem.

OK - Thread resurrection time

I'm going to cut a slot in the top rim of my Center Section for the Thermoworks Smoke Probes

But I was thinking:
Is there some sort of non-corrosive magnet or a bar of flexible material with (2) magnets that could be stuck on the Outside of the upright rim -
so that the bottom edge of it would effectively "clamp" the probe wires in place?
(I suppose that 2 rare-earth button magnets, if placed close enough together, could fit this purpose?)

Or maybe a silicone U-shaped insert that could fit into a slightly wider slot and seal things but buffer the sharp edge to avoid damaging the probe wires?

Maybe gently wrap the wires in a bit of foil to protect / strain-relief the Probe Leads, and gently "wedge" the foil into the slot?

Anybody else have some good ideas

Cut your slot a bit larger than you need and run a bead of silicone sealant around the edge. You might also get a rod of about the diameter you want for the hole and run a big bead of silicone around that so it forms a donut with the rod in the center. Once the silicone has set you can pull out the rod and then trim it to fit in the slot. Maybe cut grooves so it slides into the slot from the top.

I respectfully submit that you good people are overthinking this. I have used the "slot" just as presented in the "how to " in my 18.5, my newer 14.5, and the mini ABSOLUTELY without issue. It is MUCH easier to use than the grommet and Has had no issues of any kind.

Just a thought or two...

Keep on smokin,
Dale:wsm:

I respectfully submit that you good people are overthinking this...

I agree that overthinking this IS a definite possibility - I just want my shiny new smoke and probes to LAST
Guess i should probably just try the "bare slot" first, and see how that works

Firmly pushing the probes from the outside to the grommet, pushing the opposite way from the inside to take out.
Works for me, like it tight :D

Yeah Dennis - I completely agree with you. But there's one small hitch in the plan:

I have one of the older, "Pre-Grommet" 18.5" WSMs
I suppose that I could drill or grind a hole and install one of the new-style Grommets - but if I'm gonna' cut, the slot should be easier

So, how about some comments on the SMOKE itself? I really want one. I just need someone to convince me it is worth trying to sneak past the wife.

Bruce...

See if this works...

If you don't value Accuracy in Temperature Measurement
If you don't value a Product that's highly regarded in the industry
If you don't value its Ease to Use
If you don't value the Manufacturer's after purchase Support

Then Smoke is Not for You :)

Otherwise... Get the Smoke. You will not regret it ! Excellent Product.

Last edited:
I just ordered one. Now I have to make sure I get home before her on delivery day so that I can hide it.

Bruce...

Earlier this year I purchased a second Thermapen. First one is working great. Bought the second one as a backup and for the lighted display. Was worried the wife might get on my case.

Funny thing... Wife uses it more than I do, for everyday cooking !

Last edited:

Back