Looking To Expand The Family

JRAiona

TVWBB Gold Member
My wife, after getting me a Performer, has decided she wants a gas grill as she is more comfortable with that. Who am I to argue (wink wink). Of course I insist on a Weber and she agrees. There is just the 2 of us and I would like some recommendations. She's kind of leaning toward the spirit E210 which I also like but I also like the Genesis 2 E210. I'd appreciate some input. Thanks guys.

The new burners on the Genesis II models are very interesting... all reports are that it's a very evenly heated grill surface.

But really, either of those two units should work fine for you. Pick up a smoker box so you can throw some chips in there and add smoke to what you make and you'll have a very flexible outdoor cooking collection.

I have a friend with a spirit and it seems like a fine grill.

If you are interested in used at all you could save some money by going with something like a genesis silver A. I have one and its great. I picked it up for free and spent about $100 replacing the grates and flavorizers.

You can pick a older Genny with E/W burners for good prices like a E320/E310 Also the S models. These are great cooking grills very stable heat. Biggest issues is the lower cabinet having some corrosion . But not a bad fix. For what you pay you get a big surface and solid platform.

I picked up a copper E320 with E/W burners in almost new condition for $200 off of CL.
I did look at the new Genesis II for the first time and really liked them, seem fairly well built.
You really might want to look at the E310, the three burners give you a lot more ways to control your cooking heat, yeah it cost more but in the long run when you start to run out of room on the two burner you're going to wish you had the tree burner.
With a little bit of luck your wife may become your grilling buddy like Barb did with me, we have a lot of fun doing it and she is getting very good at using any of the eight Weber's we have.:D

I'm far from an expert like some of the guys here, but I'd consider getting a 3 burner. They're better for indirect cooking which may be something you want to do in gas too. you'll have 2 burners shouldering the heat vs 1 if you have a 3 burner.

I don't know about the new 2 burner Genesis, but I found the spirit 2 burner underpowered a few years ago when I was cooking on my brother in law's grill that was an EW configuration, took a long time to heat.

Obv there is used as well. Depends on your budget and desire to fix up something.

Its very easy to spend other people's money! get a Summit!

FWIW I'm going E410 SE to replace my 12 year old Weber

My 2 burner genesis A doesn't have a problem getting hot fast. In fact it heats up faster than my 3 burner genesis 1000. Three burners does do indirect heat better.

IMO Greg you're talking about 2 very different products. The little 2 burner Genesis of a while ago was/is a superior product to the product out of China Weber is trying to push off as quality. Heck Craigslist is littered with these newer 2 and 3 burner Spirits (new style with knobs in front). Gotta wonder. Plus the sellers are dumping them cheap. Yet when you see an older style Genesis (especially the dual flavorizer row type) they are asking top $$$$ where I was seeing them being sold for under $100 now people have realized how much better those old grills were and they are asking $150 and up (way up). Makes you think

I love my Spirit 210. It holds temp very true, and can get hot enough to do anything you need. I also like the fold down wings and the four wheels.

I'm far from an expert like some of the guys here, but I'd consider getting a 3 burner. They're better for indirect cooking which may be something you want to do in gas too. you'll have 2 burners shouldering the heat vs 1 if you have a 3 burner.

I don't know about the new 2 burner Genesis, but I found the spirit 2 burner underpowered a few years ago when I was cooking on my brother in law's grill that was an EW configuration, took a long time to heat.

Obv there is used as well. Depends on your budget and desire to fix up something.

Its very easy to spend other people's money! get a Summit!

FWIW I'm going E410 SE to replace my 12 year old Weber

My experience was a number of years ago and only a few times. So take that for what its worth. I'm sure guys who own them have a lot more direct (and indirect:p) experience on the 2 burners.

IMO Greg you're talking about 2 very different products. The little 2 burner Genesis of a while ago was/is a superior product to the product out of China Weber is trying to push off as quality. Heck Craigslist is littered with these newer 2 and 3 burner Spirits (new style with knobs in front). Gotta wonder. Plus the sellers are dumping them cheap. Yet when you see an older style Genesis (especially the dual flavorizer row type) they are asking top $$$$ where I was seeing them being sold for under $100 now people have realized how much better those old grills were and they are asking $150 and up (way up). Makes you think

Can't speak to the spirit grills as I have never used one, but the older genesis 2 burner is a pretty good little grill. But I still say the three burner gives you more space and more cooking options.
As far as the Genesis 1-5 & 1000-5000 series like LM said the prices are going nuts, there are 7 1000s listed in the quad cities area (Prescott) and Phoenix area all of them except one beater at $75 are $100 - $175. Last year I bought 2 deep box 1000s and one 3000 all of them were under $50.

Yes I agree that the genesis is a superior product. I just didn't want the original poster to think all 2 burner webers were wimpy LOL. My old silver A is assuredly not.

I don't have any experience with the 3 burner spirit grills. But a friend has a 3 burner spirit and it seems like a good well made grill but definitely a notch below the genesis grills.

JR,

If you are interested in a used Weber, I'm local and I have a few extra ones sitting around the yard :).

Thanks Kev. Looking at my post now, I see it could be read different ways. What I meant to offer was a quality used Weber at a very good price.

Basically, would let go for what I have into them, which isn't much :) Two are fixer uppers, another is ready to go. Perhaps just needs a decent cleaning.

Back