Tips on cleaning Durawood slats?

Joey D

Any tips on the best way to clean these? Hot water, simple green, scrub brush is my current game plan.

Does anyone have an image showing what the fully-restored Durawood slats should look like?

Just so we know when to stop cleanin' and start grillin'.

Does anyone have an image showing what the fully-restored Durawood slats should look like?

Just so we know when to stop cleanin' and start grillin'.
That's a great point Paul. I gave them a scrub down and they look good to me. With a little more work they could be better; i.e. use vinegar to remove rust spots on back, restore luster to recover from UV damage, etc. All in all, they're clean and ready to be used. I just have to finish assembling, I ran outta screws the other days (upgrade to stainless).

That's a great point Paul. I gave them a scrub down and they look good to me. With a little more work they could be better; i.e. use vinegar to remove rust spots on back, restore luster to recover from UV damage, etc. All in all, they're clean and ready to be used. I just have to finish assembling, I ran outta screws the other days (upgrade to stainless).

A little bit of a random question, one which I could work out the answer to myself if I went and looked really carefully, but here goes my attempt at avoiding the 105F sun outside. I read on someones thread that all their z-bracket holes, and therefore slat holes, were different. So you had to get the order right for which slat went where to keep them spaced evenly. Is that always the case? I'd presume the z-bracket holes were punched on a jig and always the same? I'm going to clean up some durawood slats (with simple green and steel wool) and move to some better condition z-brackets which originally had wooden slats). If they were going back on the same z-brakets, then I'd just have to keep them in order, but going to new z-brackets ... either a)the holes are the same and I just keep things in order, or b) the holes are different and it becomes a puzzle to try to work out an order that has even spacings.

Just out of curiosity, anyone know what the size of the screws are that secure the slats to the brackets? I could go to Ace, but given how many I'll need, I was thinking I'd order from eBay (which probably means china).

Thanks

The Z bracket spacing is available by searching on here. I think the issue is that for those of us with regular wood slats, it's often an "eyeball" repair, so you have to keep them in order ...

A little bit of a random question, one which I could work out the answer to myself if I went and looked really carefully, but here goes my attempt at avoiding the 105F sun outside. I read on someones thread that all their z-bracket holes, and therefore slat holes, were different. So you had to get the order right for which slat went where to keep them spaced evenly. Is that always the case? I'd presume the z-bracket holes were punched on a jig and always the same? I'm going to clean up some durawood slats (with simple green and steel wool) and move to some better condition z-brackets which originally had wooden slats). If they were going back on the same z-brakets, then I'd just have to keep them in order, but going to new z-brackets ... either a)the holes are the same and I just keep things in order, or b) the holes are different and it becomes a puzzle to try to work out an order that has even spacings.

Just out of curiosity, anyone know what the size of the screws are that secure the slats to the brackets? I could go to Ace, but given how many I'll need, I was thinking I'd order from eBay (which probably means china).

Thanks
Hey Steve-I actually found myself rearranging slats to ensure equal spacing between them. There was a pattern, just took a bit to figure it out. I recall the slats with more centered holes when in the center of the bracket, then from there they deviated until the last slat had the greatest offset.

Hey Steve-I actually found myself rearranging slats to ensure equal spacing between them. There was a pattern, just took a bit to figure it out. I recall the slats with more centered holes when in the center of the bracket, then from there they deviated until the last slat had the greatest offset.

Thanks. A pattern sounds good. I will look to get this done in the next few days.

Anyone know how to remove paint from durawood slats? Picked up a Genesis Platinum and the slats/handle were all painted black.

I was cleaning the grill with a pressure washer with the 15* head and some paint was coming off. I’ll try the citrustrup first and if that doesn’t work I’ll paint them grey. Thanks.

Back