Lump in the Chimney

Richard Garcia

TVWBB All-Star
How do you modify a Weber Chimney in order to light lump charcoal so the small pieces do not fall through the Chimney's bottom?

Last edited:
I line the bottom of my chimney with a piece of paper towel so the small pieces don't fall through.

I also modded my chimney. Because I use no more than 10 briquettes for a starter (WSM) I use the smaller side to hold them.

The mod is basically drilling any number of holes (20-30) in the once solid metal wall of the large side so air can get to the paper.

Ah, the paper. After stuffing a piece or 2 into the large side I put a sheet of paper towel that's absorbed 1-2 TBS of cooking oil. Then it's covered with more newspaper. The bottom paper ignites the oil and keeps it burning to ignite the briquettes.

I also line (under the ring) my charcoal grate with an aluminum disposable grill topper (13" diameter, Flame Pro from Dollar General, cost: $1.). They usually last for a year or longer. WalMart also sells a rectangular one (same material) that keeps most of the small coals from falling through the grate.

Last edited:
I asked this question specifically in lighting-up lump charcoal for my Weber Smoky Joe as I like using the Compact Weber Chimney.

As for my Weber 22" Weber Mastertouch Grill I use a electric starter and my WSM 18" "Classic" I always use the Kingsford Blue Bag Charcoal using the large Weber Chimney.

On all three(3) of the above cooking equipment I always place some round wire mesh on the charcoal grate so the charcoal burnt pieces do not fall through and block the bottom vents and this works very well.

I asked this question specifically in lighting-up lump charcoal for my Weber Smoky Joe as I like using the Compact Weber Chimney.

As for my Weber 22" Weber Mastertouch Grill I use a electric starter and my WSM 18" "Classic" I always use the Kingsford Blue Bag Charcoal using the large Weber Chimney.

On all three(3) of the above cooking equipment I always place some round wire mesh on the charcoal grate so the charcoal burnt pieces do not fall through and block the bottom vents and this works very well.

What size wire mesh are you talking about here? And when you say round - are you actually talking about like a sheet metal with round holes cut out? A perforated metal? Or is this material more like window screen aka woven wire mesh - as seen like this: http://www.bwire.com

If it is the woven wire mesh - are you using stainless steel? How large of an opening size is there in your screen?

Thanks so much and appreciate all of the information posted - although I generally try to avoid Wal Mart Products!

You could use a small piece of "hardware cloth" cut to an appropriate size and pressed into the bottom.
"What's "hardware cloth" you ask?" Steel mesh ~3/8" from a REAL hardware store! Wally World might carry it but, you can buy a 1 square foot piece for pretty cheap at a real store.
Sadly, my favorite local hardware store closed after 150 years, I had been trading there since I was 7! Great Weber dealer!

It is very thin rolled-up thin wire which has 1/4" spaces that you can buy at any hardware store. I guess you could call-it some type of "Chicken wire"??

I cut-it to fit the charcoal grill to prevent lump charcoal falling-through preventing blocked "Weber" vents and it will last me for many, many cooks.

Replacement of this wire is very cheap here in Costa Rica.

Last edited:

Back