igrill 3

Chris Kug

TVWBB Fan
Does anyone have any experience with the igrill3?
was debating about getting one when I purchase the new Genesis II

There doesn't seem to be a lot of data on the igrill3 and the integration into the Genesis II.

Does anyone know if there is a temp probe in the grill that the Igrill hooks up to to tell grill temp?

is the range improved from the Igrill2? it seems that people complain about the range on that one. Advertised it says 150' for both. I need something that covers like 30-50' through the wall.

Do they make any longer probes? Its fine for the Genesis II, however, I'd like to be able to use it for the Smoker too.

Anyone have any thoughts? I love a new toy, but I don't want to waste the money if there are much better solutions.

I'm coming from a Taylor brand temp probe. I think it worked OK, not as fancy, but my last roast caught fire (bacon wrapped pork loin that I was trying to crisp up, long story) and burned up the wire.

thanks
Chris

I used an IGrill 2 with my WSM for about a year, then I upgraded to a HeaterMeter.

The probe length wasn't a problem on the WSM. I did find replacement probes some place on-line, but they ended up being a POS.

Range is very limited to your bluetooth range. I can be in my kitchen with the smoker on the deck(`30ft), but there is a window. I also have aluminum siding that pretty much kills all wireless signals.

For not much more, you can build your own Heatermeter, that is wifi - so much better range, or buy a pre-built for just a little more than that.

From what it looks like, the iGrill 3 attaches to the Genesis II at that particular spot on the right side table. There's a lead running to the propane tank holder so it can tell you how much fuel you have. Beyond that, it looks like it works just like the iGrill 2- you insert the probes into the unit and stick them in the meat or into an A-clip for the grill itself. There's no LED readout to see what any of the temps are without using the phone. Bluetooth range is ok for me, but it's not hard to get to a part of the house where there's no signal due to walls.

I really like my iGrill 2, but if it dropped dead, I'd have to look hard at a Thermoworks Smoke- they're coming out with a Wifi module that will give lots of range to the thing.

Thanks for the replies guys.
I was wondering about probe length since the Igrill3 mounts to the Grill and I want to also use it on a smoker which I would like to not have completely on top of the grill.

honestly it seems like mounting the igrill3 is a bit of a gimmick

The Smoke looks like a good solution. Also with some more research I'm looking at the Maverick 733 too. I'm thinking the igrill3 may still be in the running but I'm not jumping quick here.

I don't know that I'd go with the 3 if you plan to use the smoker. I would, however, recommend you look at the iGrill 2. That one works well with any grill and Weber is still selling it. As for whether it's superior to the Smoke or the Maverick is up to the buyer, but I like mine.

I don't know that I'd go with the 3 if you plan to use the smoker. I would, however, recommend you look at the iGrill 2. That one works well with any grill and Weber is still selling it. As for whether it's superior to the Smoke or the Maverick is up to the buyer, but I like mine.

To close the loop on this thread, I picked.

I got a Thermoworks Smoke for my birthday from my wife. Overall, I felt that the reliability of the connection and range were more important for a device like this than the slickness of the phone integration. I haven't set it on its maiden cook yet, but I'm planning pulled pork for Saturday, first pulled pork on the WSM, so far I've only done ribs and a loin.

For what its worth, out of the box, the Smoke seems like a high quality unit. Its heavy, but it feels very sturdy which is good for being as clumsy as I am. Set up is ridiculously easy, very straightforward, very easy to use. Everything about it is high quality, buttons, probe etc.

Bit late to the party, but I bought an iGrill 2. Whilst the device itself was quite good, and the app you use it with, what lets it down massively, is the poor range of the Bluetooth connection. If you have line of sight, its fine up to 30 feet. If you take your receiver (iPhone etc) inside your house, the signal drops out after 10 feet, which defeats the object of monitoring your smoker/BBQ. The Weber advertising is a bit misleading. It's a shame really, because the rest of the product is quite good. Having since done some research, I see other makes of Bluetooth thermometers are the same. If Weber used Wi-Fi or wireless, they would have a very good product. Had to return my iGrill 2 for this reason.

Bit late to the party, but I bought an iGrill 2. Whilst the device itself was quite good, and the app you use it with, what lets it down massively, is the poor range of the Bluetooth connection. If you have line of sight, its fine up to 30 feet. If you take your receiver (iPhone etc) inside your house, the signal drops out after 10 feet, which defeats the object of monitoring your smoker/BBQ. The Weber advertising is a bit misleading. It's a shame really, because the rest of the product is quite good. Having since done some research, I see other makes of Bluetooth thermometers are the same. If Weber used Wi-Fi or wireless, they would have a very good product. Had to return my iGrill 2 for this reason.
Sorry to hear that Paul.
FWIW I did get the Thermoworks Smoke. I've only used it once, but I'm very happy wth it. It does exactly what its supposed to do, feels high quality, and is easy to use.
No slick app but honestly the reliability is more important for this stuff.

Think they're gonna do a 'Smoke Gateway', a WiFi link that'll add onto the Smoke to give you an app on your phone. I was going to get the Thermoworks Smoke, but would have to import to the UK, and it was silly money. Got a Maverick 733 instead, just monitoring me brisket now as I type :)

Back