Houston We Have a Problem, WSM Problem That Is

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
My first full packer won’t fit my WSM, any advice on how to stuff a 12 pound packer into a 10 pound WSM (18.5).
After you stop giggling I know my friends on here will save the day for me.
Thanks

Edit:
Barb said I could get a 22.5 WSM but I'd have to sleep in it at night... not a good option.

DSCN5708_zpsl8mfjayo.jpg

Last edited:
Could you truss it into a ring? Other than that, I'm sure someone else will have a far better suggestion, good luck Rich!

Wedge between grates handles. The brisket will be arced upward in the center. Could also foil a 'spacer' and place beneath the center of the brisket.

I suspect, that once you do some trimming, it won't be as much an issue...

Wishing you an Excellent Cook !!!!

-- other solution... Send it here. Think it will fit on my 22.5

Last edited:
Like Bob says, trim it up. Find a big smoke wood chunk and wrap it with aluminum foil. Place in center of grate and drape brisket over that, tucking ends between grate handles. Brisket will shrink during cooking. You can leave the chunk throughout or remove it part way through the cook, it's up to you.

Thanks guys I knew you would come through. Bob I remember that cook you did with the smoked cured beef, if I remember right you used MTQ and smoked it using Weber's salt free steak seasoning on one of your egg Mc. Bobs, might just try that.

Last edited:
Seperate the point from the flat..Cook side by side, they should fit or point on top of the flat.
Good luck what ever you do..Post pics.
Dan

Last edited:
Rich,

I have a 18.5 and have jammed a 19lb brisket on that bad boy. I trim most of the fat layer between the flat and point, then i kinda fold it over at a 45* angle .

20160904_072031_zpsdn2frxau.jpg

rb

I had a similar "issue" with my first brisket. I just cut it in two and cooked them side by side. There were no complaints when they came to the table.

Not to press the issue, but there's a lesson here for all those who are contemplating what size WSM to buy. Then again, one could always look for a smaller packer...if they exist. I have 2 in the freezer that are 13+#...and they're on sale again this week for $2.99 at Fairway.

Barb's a funny gal. I suppose you could hang upside down inside versus standing up all night... :rolleyes:

Rich, something to remember, it is easier to ask forgiveness than to ask for permission. Just a thought.

Rich, something to remember, it is easier to ask forgiveness than to ask for permission. Just a thought.

Bob, the thought entered my mind but lets just say I may have over used that plan and she catching on. Forgiveness is becoming quite expensive now.:rolleyes:

I had a similar "issue" with my first brisket. I just cut it in two and cooked them side by side. There were no complaints when they came to the table.

Not to press the issue, but there's a lesson here for all those who are contemplating what size WSM to buy. Then again, one could always look for a smaller packer...if they exist. I have 2 in the freezer that are 13+#...and they're on sale again this week for $2.99 at Fairway.

Barb's a funny gal. I suppose you could hang upside down inside versus standing up all night... :rolleyes:

I've had the 18.5 about three years and I bought off CL to use for ribs and pork butts this is the first and last time I'll do a full packer. I usually do just a flat because it's just Barb and me so I don't need 13 pounds of meat, but when on sale I couldn't resist it at $1.49 a pound. I use my mini 99% of the time.
But you're right think about what you are going to be doing with it, too big is alright but not so much too small.

Same situation here, usually just the two of us, so I almost always cut off a portion before freezing and make 2 cooks out of a whole packer.
A 22" is overkill for my needs, and I'm betting for yours too.

Rich cook part in your 18.5 and the other part in your mini. See if there is any taste difference..... just a thought.

I will keep my 22 no matter what because we use it for family get togethers and need the space. Have been looking on CL for a 14 and a good price but so far no luck. As an alternative, I told my wife that if any one asks, get me Amazon gift cards for my birthday next week. I don't mind spending the $200.00 dollars, but just not MY $200.00. I would smoke a lot more if I had a 14 anyway.

I've had the 18.5 about three years and I bought off CL to use for ribs and pork butts this is the first and last time I'll do a full packer. I usually do just a flat because it's just Barb and me so I don't need 13 pounds of meat, but when on sale I couldn't resist it at $1.49 a pound. I use my mini 99% of the time.
But you're right think about what you are going to be doing with it, too big is alright but not so much too small.

WOW! $1.49? I'd buy 4 -5 of them...:wsm:

Bob Correll: Same here. There's only 2 of us too. I portioned out (meal portions) the last leftover brisket (un-sliced) and vacuum sealed them. When it came time to reheat I just thawed the bags a short while and tossed them into boiling water. Not knowing how long it would take I put a probe into the bag at a corner that was sticking out of the water. When it got to temp I pulled it off the heat and it was perfect. No loss of flavor or juices.

FWIW, I received a roll of pink paper today! WooYoo! :cool:

The Mrs. has reubens, cabbage and taters planned for St. Paddy's Day next Friday...but my mind is thinking brisket.

How about putting it on it's side and curl it up (if that's proper English)
Holding it together at the ends with a kebab stick or thread some butcher string through it?

I have never done a brisket, but I don't see why it wouldn't work?

Back