Higher Temp (350ish) cooks with BBQ Guru on 18" WSM

Wade Leishman

TVWBB Member
So I've started trying to do a couple Tri-Tips (one at a time) on my 18" WSM and have it all setup to use with BBQ Guru CyberQ (normally I do 220-225ish low and slow for Pork Butts). "Setup" meaning I have 2 or the 3 lower grates foil taped shut and only have the Guru Fan connector on the 3rd grate.

I think I want to try to do the Tri-Tips at 350ish while also trying to get some smoke flavor in the meat, and then do a reverse sear on them once they get to internla of 130ish. I started with a Full Lit Chimney dumped over another chimney or so unlit and let everything warm up for a half hour or so before I tossed on the smoke wood and assembled the smoker and put the meat on.

Anyhow, I've done a couple and they Tips out OK, pretty smokey and everything (first one was a bit more done that I would have liked due to poor timing of sides and stuff), but both times I tried, I had a hard time getting the smoker up above 300* and certainly nowhere near 350*, with the Guru Fan blowing pretty much the whole time (had pit temp set at 400* on the Guru CyberQ), top vent open fully, etc.

Is there a trick to doing higher heat cooks with the Guru, or will I need to pull the foil tape off the other grates to get more airflow to get the coals hotter?

Thanks in advance
-W

I have a DigiQ DX. I'm pretty sure the main purpose of these devices is to control the airflow for a low & slow cook. By closing the vents you're basically creating a slight vacuum and the fan supplies the necessary airflow to keep the burn low.

IMO, you could probably keep the adapter on the vent and open up the other two to regulate the airflow for a hotter burn. Temp (probe) readings can still be read by the tool, but I would disconnect the fan and let the vents do their job.

So, yes, pull the tape and open the vents: air = higher temps.

Wade,
I use a Stoker, but the principal is the same. Have been able to get 325 with just the fan, but have found that it runs in a more controlled fashion if I partially open one or two of the other vents. Then the fan cycles properly without overshoot and undershoot.

Thanks.... I figured the fire just wasn't getting enough air with the fan alone, but wanted some confirmation... I might try another tritip this weekend and will give it more air via the lower vents and see if I can get the temp up.

Back