Genesis II E-410 SE vs S-330

Chris Kug

TVWBB Fan
Greeting all, I just registered, but I've been lurking for 1.5 years. I honestly thought I joined and posted then, but apparently not. I've been using this site to research smokers, and how to do it, I did purchase a WSM 18 :wsm22: back 1.5 years ago and have been happily using it.

Now that I got that out of the way, I'm looking to replace my gas grill. I was going to do it last year but convinced myself that if I just gave it a good cleaning, called up tech support I'd fix the underlying issue and be happy, but alas, the bug to get a new one has bitten and the Weber genesis gold LP has provided 12 years of good service, but now provides hot spots and inconsistent cooking.

I'm currently looking at 2 grills and need to make a decision quickly as one is going to go away. I have a store with a few S-330 NGs new in box for a great price, $650, due to an ordering mistake. The alternative is going with the new Genesis II line, I've been looking at the E-410 SE which is around $950 now.

I've been back and forth 1000 times. My real hesitation on the S-330, is the S. Stainless looks great new out of the box, I'm concerned about keeping it looking nice, and the maintenance to go with it. I have a stainless hood now on my grill, but I hear the stainless is a lower quality now, and its freakin everywhere on the grill, vs just the hood and doors on mine. Is this the maintenance PITA that I think it is, I'm in NY probably 5 miles from the ocean? If I were to pick from the Genesis line from last year I was going to go with an EP-330. Otherwise, it has a sear burner which I like the sound of, and a side burner, which I'm not entirely sure I'd use.

The Genesis II I think I'd get the 410 SE as it really is a nice size, has 4 burners, I get my painted hood, even heating. The new burner design looks great. I'm a little concerned about long term durability with the changing of the model, not sure how significant that really is. I'm not of the belief that everything from China is crap. Open cart isn't a bad thing. Can it sear? am I going to miss having the sideburner?

Thinking this through if they were the same price, I'd probably be getting the 410SE, but they're not

Problems I'm trying to solve getting the new grill:
-more even cooking
-less flare ups
-better set up for indirect cooking
-more room to cook, when I have people over I was feeling like my gold was a bit small, but I don't need a huge 6 burner grill, the 4 may be overkill
-NG (I think), I moved 6 years ago and put in an NG line to the outside. Haven't used it yet, but I do like the idea of not having to deal with tank fill ups and running out of gas.
-new and purdy

To recap my real questions
-is the S330 really a pain to keep looking nice long term?
-am I going to really use the side burner?
-Can the new E410 sear like the S330?
-is the E410 really a lower quality than the S330?

Please let me know your thoughts, I tend to over analyze and second guess myself. Its great! Maybe not surprisingly, of my more major purchases since I've been an adult, the Weber Genesis Gold I bought 12 years ago was probably the best long term decision I've made. I grill probably 3-4 times a week in the spring, summer, fall and maybe 1-2 times a week in the winter and it doesn't miss a beat and gets super hot super fast.

I don't think the S330 will be any higher quality than the E410. The E410 they finally came clean and disclose it being made in China. The S330 is pretty much all made in China also but "assembled" (if you call throwing pieces in a box assembled) here in Illinois. As for getting more cooking space there is no substitute for Square Inches (if you were or are a gear head the pun will be familiar).
As for repairing/addressing the issues you face re. performance of the current grill here is the best way to progress. Start with a thorough cleaning internally. Scrape out loose stuff from fire box, and grease tray, etc. Remove the burners and manifold. Give the burners a very close inspection. Look for cracks, clogged ports etc. If you only have clogged ports get a VERY stiff wire brush and brush the heck out of them. Any ports that remain clogged can be opened with a tiny screw driver or such (being careful to not remove metal only debris). Get a round wire brush (about the length of the tubes) and brush them clean internally. Flush them out with some kind of spray solvent (I use brake cleaner or carb cleaner). Also pay attention to the bug screens they get clogged with lint and debris. Blow them out with compressed air. BTW you don't need some big shop compressor here something like this http://www.harborfreight.com/3-gallon-100-psi-oilless-pancake-air-compressor-95275.html many times is on sale for $39. Handy tool. Now with that done turn your attention to the manifold and valves. Carefully remove each main orifice. With a scotch brite clean them and make sure the orifice is not clogged with corrosion (I have found that LP especially tends to corrode the brass). Carefully disassemble (one at a time) the valves. Remove the cone and again using the spray solvent clean them well. Now lubricate them with a VERY VERY tiny amount of synthetic brake caliper lube (the black stuff not Silglyde). It comes in a very small packet for like $1.00. Reassemble everything. You could also splurge on a new regulator as uneven pressure regulation can cause the grill to run weird. Once done your grill will cook like new and you've saved close to $1000 and still have a better quality more versatile grill for your trouble. Sadly it won't be bigger but it will work as well or better than anything else. Especially if you want to learn the fine art of rotisserie.
Another thing would be keep an eye on Craigslist for a really high end grill someone wants to get rid of like this
28us406.jpg
This is a Wolf (if you know professional appliances you know this name) grill. I paid $150 and put almost no $$$ into getting it going again. I priced this when I bought it at ABT and the grill head alone was nearly $10k the cart another $3500! Every inch of it is solid 304SS even the frame of the cart and the grill is solid 304SS tubing with gorgeous welds. Outstanding appliance. Anyway those are my thoughts on your dilemma

Really can't weigh in on the new genesis II as I haven't seen one yet. But I have a 2009 E320 with the E/W burners in NG I got off of Greg's List in mint condition for $150 and I love it. Not messing around with propane tanks seeing I have four other grills that use propane is wonderful.
As far as the side burner goes, I tried it out the day I brought it home and it hasn't seen daylight since then, which is three years ago.
I had a Ducane which was all good quality SS doors, hood, shelves and it was a complete pita to keep clean, that was the main reason I sold it. I would never by choice have an all SS grill again.
Good luck with your choice.

thanks for the replies guys.

Honestly, Rich, the your comments about the Ducane are hitting home with me. I talked more about it with my wife and decided to pass on the S330. Seems like a great deal for someone, but not me. I'm too OCD about cleanliness to have that grill. I'll love it the day I assemble it, and start hating the upkeep 6 months later. On one hand SS seems like the right material to make a grill out of from a corrosion outside POV, however, from the other side of things where you have grease splatters et al, it seems like the worst material to hide any clean up sins.

For whatever it's worth, I got a SE-410 and I absolutely LOVE the thing. I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have. I will say that it's an amazingly even cooker.

I honestly do not notice the "upkeep issue" with my stainless grill compared to either my Summit or Genesis which are not. What cleaning it does require is easy. Wipe it down occasionally (though honestly it's so big it's like wiping down a small car) with Windex. This summer I'll be hitting it with some oven cleaner to get the heavier deposits off but otherwise it's a piece of cake. Maybe what helps is it's quality stainless instead of the cheapo 430 stuff which does "pit" and I am sure would make it harder to clean

To recap my real questions
-is the S330 really a pain to keep looking nice long term?
-am I going to really use the side burner?
-Can the new E410 sear like the S330?
-is the E410 really a lower quality than the S330?
I have the S330, coming up on it's second year. It's not a problem to keep clean / looking nice. I use my side burner all the time. I'd say 90% of the time I use it to light charcoal, and the remaining 10% actually cooking something on it. I don't know anything about the E410, but my S330 can sear like nobody's business. I've gotten my S330 700+ degrees several times, but you have to be grease free when running it that hot, because if there's any grease, it will catch on fire

My S330 can be seen below

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?6733-Weber-Family-Portraits&p=691837&viewfull=1#post691837

For whatever it's worth, I got a SE-410 and I absolutely LOVE the thing. I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have. I will say that it's an amazingly even cooker.

I guess my only real questions are around heating up and searing.

Does it take a long time to heat? does it sear well?
I didn't realize it until I went and researched the newer webers, but the older Genesis series seems to heat up very quickly and get very hot. Mine pegs the needle to 700 on the gauge very fast

It says its set up for igrill3. What exactly does that mean if you have to purchase the igrill3 and temperature probes?

I think this is the path I want to go down. Doesn't look quite as sexy as the all stainless cabinet models but I'll be happier long term with an enameled lid and more space, just wish it weren't so pricey. Maybe Ace will have a memorial day sale this year like they did last year. $100 off would be nice.

The prices of the new grills pointed me towards getting an older model and cleaning it up. For a couple hundred dollars, I'll end up with a grill as good as, or better than the current ones. Plus, they will last as long.

After about 10 minutes my SE-410 gets to around 575, but keep in mind pretty much all of my cooks have been near freezing and/or windy conditions. I expect it to get up to around 625 once spring comes for good. The LX models have a high heat setting that looks like it gives an extra 1k BTU per burner if that is an issue for you. And yes, the igrill3 is basically a place to mount their remote wireless thermometer hub

After about 10 minutes my SE-410 gets to around 575, but keep in mind pretty much all of my cooks have been near freezing and/or windy conditions. I expect it to get up to around 625 once spring comes for good. The LX models have a high heat setting that looks like it gives an extra 1k BTU per burner if that is an issue for you. And yes, the igrill3 is basically a place to mount their remote wireless thermometer hub

Sounds good. I'm glad you're happy.

I am going to skip the LX. too pricey, not enough benefit for me, at that price point, I'd be considering jumping to a Summit, I'd also probably have to find a new place to live as my wife would kick me out after spending $2K on a grill.

"Maybe what helps is it's quality stainless instead of the cheapo 430 stuff which does "pit" and I am sure would make it harder to clean"

Do you know what the 2106 Genesis S330 is made out of stainless steel wise? Thanks

I have ep330 (older) and the stainless is 430 but thicker and sturdy. I'm in California on inside of SF Bay and keep covered. Only surface rust when sauces and dust gets wet from fog.

The new ss may be 304 but it's thinner and support for shelves seem less sturdy

Back