New builder, New build, Magic smoke.

Bud_Dickey

Hi everybody,

New builder here. I have basic electronics experience and have (what I consider to be) decent soldering skills.

I recently built a 4.3 HM, and have been having issues with it since i first fired it up. The first issue i had was that I mixed up one of the BS170 with the MCP1700-33. this caused several startup issues.

With my neanderthal methods of de-soldering, I may have caused other problems.

After receiving the replacement parts today from Digikey, I fired up the HM, and released the magic smoke from inductor (220u INDUCTOR9MM L1).

Is there any way for me to test/salvage the base board? i think the LCD/button board is ok, but would really like to save this project.

TIA,

Bud

Post some close up pics of the board. It can be salvaged, worse case, other than needing new parts would be adding wires to fix burned up soldering pads.

the only time I've seen the inductor damaged is when a reverse polarity power supply was used. You need TIP POSITIVE polarity, 12VDC.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I left the HM and all associated parts at home today (d'oh). I will take some pictures when I get home this evening.

The power supply is 12V DC 2amp. I just looked back at the Amazon listing and it is center positive, barrel negative. This was the first supply that popped up when I clicked the link in the HM assembly page. I will test it with the DMM when i get home to make sure.

Bud

You should trim back the legs on the blower mosfet, and it looks like the LCD1 header has a lot of stray solder that could be shorting things out

If there is a chance the inductor is damaged I would make sure the blower ramps properly in voltage mode. Reason being, I fixed a HM with a damaged inductor, it appeared to work but in reality the blower speed wasn't working properly, it started out at a much higher speed than it should spin. It wasn't capable of a trickle flow in voltage mode, but in pulse mode it would spin low speeds just fine. I replaced the inductor and then the fan worked fine in voltage mode.

If there is a chance the inductor is damaged I would make sure the blower ramps properly in voltage mode. Reason being, I fixed a HM with a damaged inductor, it appeared to work but in reality the blower speed wasn't working properly, it started out at a much higher speed than it should spin. It wasn't capable of a trickle flow in voltage mode, but in pulse mode it would spin low speeds just fine. I replaced the inductor and then the fan worked fine in voltage mode.

Will check before sending it back.

It's performed good, in pulse and voltage mode with my 28cfm blower.

Ralph, thanks for the earlier suggestions and advice. Unfortunately, I have been running short on time due to work and John was kind enough to check out the boards for me. This may be the best forum experience I have ever had....

Thanks again, John. I owe you a beer or something.

Back