Matt from Tulsa, OK

MRinken

Hey all,

Just joined today after lurking around for the past few months. My dad has always had a Weber Kettle & smoker so naturally, I bought a Performer 7 years ago when I graduated from college. I was given a small Brinkman smoker a few years ago that I've used 2 or 3 times a year, but never really enjoyed it much. This last January I borrowed my Dad's 18" WSM for my yearly "smoke off" that I have with my two brothers every January, and since then I knew I had to have one.

I'm still trying to decide between the 18" and 22, but I will be making a decision in the next few days.

There is so much information here, I love it. Hopefully I'll be able to post some pics in the next few weeks of the results from my first smoke with my new smoker.

Welcome to the forum. I do agree with Bill about the 22. That said, I have not been smoking much unless we are having guests since it is only my wife and I. Because of this I am now looking for a WSM14 so it will be easier to smoke for the two of us. All that said, Figure out what your normal needs will be and also how often you will be smoking for a larger group. Good luck with the decision.

Thanks guys. Both my Dad & brother suggest the 22" because they've always had to cut back the amount of meat they smoke because of space. I would be smoking for just my wife & I (usually) but I tend to load the smoker up when I do fire it up, and vacuum seal & freeze what we don't eat that night for weekday lunches, etc.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Friday I came home to a 22.5" WSM sitting on my porch! I assembled it that night and started the Harry Soo "break-in" procedure. I did my first WSM seasoning with a pork shoulder yesterday, not expecting it to be very good, but turned out quite decent for its first smoke. The smoker ran hot the entire time, hovering around 280°, even with all the vents fully closed. This sounds normal, as the lid was leaking a ton.

I was skeptical of running it with no water, but it left an awesome bark! And saved a ton of fuel, even with it being a much bigger smoker than what I have used before. Will definitely be doing that from now on.

A couple more cooks and the grease will seal up all the seams. Then she will cook rock solid.
Enjoy that big bad boy, it wI'll cook up a mess of ribs and a big brisket.

Back