WSM 14.5 - First cook results with pics + temperature logs!

SteveMJ

Hey everyone!

Firstly wanted to say thanks to you all for providing such an awesome resource of information on these forums! It was very helpful getting me up to speed for my first cook as someone who's never smoked before.

I picked up a 14.5" WSM recently as a birthday present, and did my first cook on Sunday - a 5.5lb Pork butt. I got up early and had it on the heat just after 7am, using lump charcoal and the minion method, with some hickory chunks.

Here's the temperatures throughout the cook, which lasted just over 12 hours:
VLoGVNL.png

- The dip in temperature about 10am was when a little bit of drizzle started to fall! Even with all vents open I couldn't get the heat up, so I (over)compensated by adding 1-2 extra lit lumps of coal, which shot the temperature way too high. I was able stablize it pretty quickly though.
- As you can see, the 'stall' lasted ages! Fortunately I had read about it earlier, so knew to expect it.
- Despite that, I was running out of time before I had to serve dinner, so I pumped the temperature up to try and push through the stall.
- The temp started to come up, and it just peaked over 190f by the time I had to take it off. I would have liked to get it a little higher, but was still quite happy with the end result.

Here's some pics of the final product!
OCZEXAF.jpg

agOr1Yb.jpg

Super tasty, and will keep us fed throughout the week. People at work were already getting jealous today as I was heating it up in the kitchen :) This weekend I think it'll be ribs, so I can have a slightly shorter cook.

In regards to the super long stall, what would you guys recommend to get around it? I want to avoid foiling the meat for now as I'm having fun creating nice crispy bark :)

Thanks guys!

Wow, that looks delicious. Start a bit earlier next time. That's how I get through the stall. I usually do an eight to ten pounder, and I allow 12 to 14 hours for the cook. I never wrap a butt, but I always mop.

Over my last 4-5 smoking sessions I've started foiling under 150F and it's breezed right through the stall every time.

I know you don't want to foil, but maybe you should reconsider. Once it hits 170 or so you could always remove the foil or just open it up to form a bowl.

Good looking PP mate.
What V_Rocco says.
Tip: Get the WSM primed & set up the night before. Then all you have to do is light up the chimney, & you'll be cooking within 20 minutes.

- Despite that, I was running out of time before I had to serve dinner, so I pumped the temperature up to try and push through the stall.

Start earlier - much earlier. When I am cooking with a time in mind (like dinner), I cook with a plan to let the meat rest a few to even 3-4 hours. That way, I'm not pressured to get through a stall or pull the meat too early. Plus, then I can clean up and relax a bit before serving, making the meal more enjoyable for me.

Looking good!

I did a pork leg the other day and also had a long stall. I don't like wrapping either.
In my case it was not a problem as I was not making pulled pork, but a slow cooked pork leg.
I am only posting this as I see lots of pulled pork in the posts, but it is worth considering not pulling it (mine came out very well)....

Cheers all - definitely sounds like the consensus is just to start much earlier! I like the idea of getting everything laid out and primed the night before, so I'll definitely give that a shot.

This weekend we're trying some ribs, so fingers crossed they turn out just as delicious :)

Back