Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New mini wont get hot?

TVWBB Member

New mini wont get hot?

Made a new mini from an sjs. Vents clear, flower pot tray diffuser, 15 briqs lit dumped on top of 20 unlit, 3 hunks of apple for smoke during this seasoning run. Cant get temp over 200, have a dial thermometer in the side at 5" down from the pot rim. Ideas?
    Last edited by MilesVDustin; 03-05-2017 at 01:32 PM.

TVWBB Pro
    Any wind? That'll keep it from getting hot.

Buy a 4x8 piece of plywood, cut it into 4x4s (or buy 2 4x4s) and add a couple of hinges for a portable wind barrier. If you have the tools, cut some slots for carrying handles.
    Bill: WSM 22.5 BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2 : Maverick ET-733 : BHG Gas Grill: His & Hers John Deere Lawn Tractors

Look for threads in this forum by CaseT, he's got the mini SJS down to a science - my only question is did you do the the tuna can vent block? It's most important
    85 78

TVWBB Member
    Did a tuna can vent, yes. It was pretty windy. I stuck a thermometer in the top vent and it read a lot higher than the one in the side, about 70 degrees higher. Which should i trust?

TVWBB Pro
    I would put more faith in the one that was reading hotter.

FWIW, I smoke under my 2nd floor deck. When it's windy I hang a welding blanket (hanging from ropes looped into hooks) from the rafters.
    Last edited by Bill Elwell; 03-06-2017 at 12:52 PM.
    Bill: WSM 22.5 BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2 : Maverick ET-733 : BHG Gas Grill: His & Hers John Deere Lawn Tractors

TVWBB Member
    Did you cut the bottom of the pot out, or just drill holes in it? I've built 2 mini's and cut the bottom out of both. Never a problem getting the temps up.
    18.5" WSM , 14" WSM , Smokey Joe Mini WSM , Black Performer

TVWBB Member
    I cut the whole bottom out of the pot, flower pot base diffuser sitting on a charcoal grate in the very bottom. The diffuser cracked about 30 minutes into the seasoning run. One thing i need to do is make the charcoal basket.

That stinks that the side thermometer is pretty much worthless. Wish i hadnt drilled the hole.

TVWBB Member
    Take the side thermo out and put a screw and nut in the hole. Only other thing I can think of is the flower pot base is to big and restricting air flow. I had to go to a smaller one.
    18.5" WSM , 14" WSM , Smokey Joe Mini WSM , Black Performer

Miles, you might try replacing the clay pot base with a 10"-11" stainless or aluminum pie pan wrapped with foil. That is what I use in my Mini, and can get to 350* with no problem.
    Give a man a steak, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to BBQ, and he'll sit by the grill and drink beer all weekend!

TVWBB Member
    Is it easy to keep the temp down in the 225-250 range with the aluminum pan?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast