Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New mini wont get hot?

I haven't had any problem maintaining those temps. I run the top vent wide open and the bottom 1/4 - 1/2.
    Give a man a steak, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to BBQ, and he'll sit by the grill and drink beer all weekend!

TVWBB Member
    Would a 9" pan fit the bill? And just wrap it in foil?

Quote Originally Posted by MilesVDustin View Post
    Would a 9" pan fit the bill? And just wrap it in foil?
    Miles, I have been using a Fat Daddio's 12" pan I ordered off of Amazon (using the link on the forum of course). Yes, I wrap it top and bottom with hd foil, and leave the top concave but not touching the bottom to catch grease. It comes in 9"-12" sizes. I think a 9" might be a little on the small side. I left about a 1" or 11/2" "lip" around the diameter of the bottom of the pot when I cut it out, so the 12" has worked well in it. Your guess is good as mine as far as which size to get, but experimentation is part of the fun of the Mini. Good luck.
    Give a man a steak, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to BBQ, and he'll sit by the grill and drink beer all weekend!

Miles, thought of a question, are you running the top vent wide open, and controlling temp with the bottom one? I only close the top vent down (no more than 1/2) on any of my Webers if I have to, to get temp down.

TVWBB Member
    I had it running wide open. Right now with a smaller clay diffuser its saying 250 on the side probe about 1/2" under the grate, my thermomter from my big green egg in the top vent says 350.

TVWBB Member
    So I decided to just trust the side thermometer and I cooked a big fatty in it for its maiden cook. Thing turned out spectacular and I was able to dial in the temp at about 240-250 with the bottom vents half open. Wide open ran to about 365. Overall, I am pleased with the cooker!

TVWBB Member
    Glad it worked out.
    18.5" WSM , 14" WSM , Smokey Joe Mini WSM

Sounds like you got it dialed in.

TVWBB Member
    I fired up my big green egg and stabilized it at 300 and the thermo stuck in the top vent would read 75 degrees or so higher than the regular thermo, so its the same as the mini.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12