To Grind or Not to Grind

JRAiona

TVWBB Gold Member
How many use turbinado sugar in their rubs? Do you grind it finer? Do you recommend using it over brown sugar?

I use it and do not grind it. I use it when I make the BRITU rub mainly for pork cooks. It does not seem to burn. But because of the granular size, it tends to settle out some, so I shake often to keep it mixed.

I don't when doing a small batch, but on a large batch I pulse everything in the food processor.
I use a flour sifter for applying a rub on a large batch and it has a small mesh screen.

Tim

I don't when doing a small batch, but on a large batch I pulse everything in the food processor.
I use a flour sifter for applying a rub on a large batch and it has a small mesh screen.

Tim
that sifter idea is sharp. im stealing that. i like the turbinado sugar because it stays loose and separate , but i have never ground it....but i might try that next time i do ribs

I like raw cane sugar for my rubs.
My local Walmart carries it.
It's small grained and doesn't clump.
https://www.floridacrystals.com/product/Raw-Cane-Sugar-Jug

USGrown_Natural_Jug_300x400.png

What a neat idea Tim. I'll have to try that. Thanks for the suggestion Bob. I'll have to look for that at my local big W.

I grind everything, even brown sugar.

I dehydrate a lot of garden grown peppers (chili's). I sift it to separate the powder from the flakes. I bottle them in separate shaker bottles.

If I make a rub and don't want flakes I use the powder. If I want only flakes...the flake shaker.

Your talking about "raw sugar" aka the sugar in the brown envelopes at Starbucks? It takes me nearly a year to gather up enough (one trip to Starbucks a week) to have enough to add to a rub, and I only use it on my ribs. I don't grind, and in fact I only add it on during the cook. I don't start out with it. It makes for a nice glaze crust, that I shake on after mopping. I rarely do this, like I said it takes about a year to gather up enough envelopes of it and it's usually only enough for one cook

It is wonderful

I use Sugar ITR for most of my rubs when sugar is called for
The mix of sweet and spice really gives me nice bark on my Meaty Meteorites (PP / Butts) and when making ribs
According to some sources that I have read - it has less tendency to burn / scorch at Smoking temperatures than regular / refined sugar

I do not grind it - if I had some that was clumping, (I once tried a different brand of Demerera sugar or something like that... then I would)

Your talking about "raw sugar" aka the sugar in the brown envelopes at Starbucks? It takes me nearly a year to gather up enough (one trip to Starbucks a week) to have enough to add to a rub, and I only use it on my ribs. I don't grind, and in fact I only add it on during the cook. I don't start out with it. It makes for a nice glaze crust, that I shake on after mopping. I rarely do this, like I said it takes about a year to gather up enough envelopes of it and it's usually only enough for one cook

It is wonderful

ha ha ha ha , i thought i was the only one... i drive my wife crazy stealing sugar packets everywhere i go...but it doesnt take me a year....that is hilarious.

I use Domino brownulated brown sugar,its dry and wont cake up when stored in a container with other spices like a favorite rub,

I use turbinado sugar or Domino brownulated brown sugar in my rubs.
I POWDERIZE my rubs in a used Cuisinart coffee grinder that I scored at Amvets for $5.
I feel that powdered rubs stick to the meat better, with less waste.

I use Turbinado Sugar only if the recipe specifically calls for it. I keep a box in the pantry. I do not do any additional grinding.

I don't use any sugar in my rubs. My rub is granulated garlic, sea salt, black pepper, chili powder and paprika, that's all. Might not win a competition but I don't see food as competition. Collaboration and, especially with barbecue, ritual.

Last edited:

It is wonderful

Did you know you can buy Sugar In The Raw bulk (loose, not in packets) in one pound boxes? Wal Mart carries it.

How many use turbinado sugar in their rubs? Do you grind it finer? Do you recommend using it over brown sugar?

I have never tried grinding or sifting turbinado. I use it right out of the bag for everything and substitute it for white or brown sugar. I took awhile for the kids to get used to brown lemonade but you can't beat the taste. 😀

I don't have problems with it separating out of dry rubs.

Back