How to lubricate manifold knobs?

Greg M

TVWBB All-Star
The burner control knobs on my weber genesis 1000 are sticking a bit. What's the best way to lubricate those 3 controls? I know it's been discussed somewhere but I can't find it.

The burner control knobs on my weber genesis 1000 are sticking a bit. What's the best way to lubricate those 3 controls? I know it's been discussed somewhere but I can't find it.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?64993-Manifold-Maintenance-Tips&p=720875&viewfull=1#post720875

Never white lithium. It'll just turn to gum and varnish inside the valve. Go to some place like Advanced Auto Parts and grab a little packet of this http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...977/7730004-P?searchTerm=disc+brake+lubricant it'll have enough in it to do like 40 grills LOL use just the tiniest amount all it takes is a thin film on the valve internals

How exactly do you lube the valves? Do you take the manifold apart / get the valves apart?

I've been kind of wanting to do this for a while, but it's been on the back burner. Ha! Burner.

Slainte!

Tim

Thanks for the link. But I have the same question as Tim. How exactly do you get the lube in? Do you have to disassemble the manifold?

You simply pull the manifold off. On the top of the valves you'll find 2 small Phillips screws. Remove the 2 screws (carefully as very easy to strip) and inside you'll see the stem seats into a cone shaped device. Use a scotch brite and some solvent. Clean and polish the shaft and the upper plate, remove the cone, with solvent wash everything. Put VERY VERY tiny bit of lube on the cone and on the shaft and reassemble. BTW do only one valve at a time to be sure you don't get anything "crossed up". One other thing. Remove the orifice (screwed onto valve) and thoroughly clean it. I have seen grills burn unevenly due to corrosion here. Put it all back together (DO NOT use any sealant on the threads of the orifice BTW). Your grill will operate like the day it was made

Thank you! This will be done as soon as new burners arrive. Rcplanebuyer flavorizer bars and new burners are this year's gifts to the old grill, and it will be very satisfying to have freshly lubricated valves!

i had the same issue on a couple of old manifold from used grills. i took them all apart gave them a good clean and used some caliber grease put them back together and presto good as new. i was amazed how simple the assembly was, i had them apart in a few minutes and very easy to put back together.
as it was my first time taking these things apart I took a tonne of pictures and it made that much easier when a few days later i put everything back together.

i had the same issue on a couple of old manifold from used grills. i took them all apart gave them a good clean and used some caliber grease put them back together and presto good as new. i was amazed how simple the assembly was, i had them apart in a few minutes and very easy to put back together.
as it was my first time taking these things apart I took a tonne of pictures and it made that much easier when a few days later i put everything back together.

It would be great if you could post a few pics so people can visualize the process. Or send them to me and I will post them here and on the Weber gas grill blog.

I cleaned the orifices on the manifold of the grill I'm restoring. I'm glad I checked because the center one was completely clogged

Wow sweet job on that! I could have never accomplished that

Well, I think your explanation of the process is invaluable and needed to be documented in a video. It's going to help a lot of people in the years to come. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us!

Back