BBQ Season is coming!

SteveCK

TVWBB Pro
I posted this in the HeaterMeter section because we are sort of a family there and I wanted to hear from them, but then realized I'd like to hear from the whole TVWBB family! ... so I'll post here too.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm pretty excited for bbq season to come. I know some of you grill all year round but when fall hits I start switching from bbq to stews and braises, and when spring comes around I get pretty heavy into bbq and grilling again. I bought a stick burner this past fall, and I plan on using that thing A LOT, but I still depend on the HeaterMeter and MicroDamper to take care of those cooks when I can't sit by the pit and drink beer. Anybody planning on getting a new pit this season? Or anybody just planning on trying new things? What are your bbq aspirations this year? Maybe some people here looking to get a bbq controller this year?

Down Here in San Jose, Costa Rica we mainly have two(2) types of Seasons, Rainy and Dry, in which the Dry Season mainly runs from Nov-April.

However, My patio area is covered which protects my WSM 18" Classic, Weber Mastertouch Grill and Weber Smoky Joe, so, I BBQ and Grill at-will!

I plan on BBQing for the first time a "Pork Belly" using my Weber 22" Mastertouch Grill with a "Slow N Sear Plus" Insert purchased new last year.

In the last six(6) months I have bought the following BBQ Accessories along with a Weber Smoky Joe and Weber Mastertouch Grills:

Slow N Sear Plus from ABC Barbecue
Drip N Griddle from ABC Barbecue
Thermo Pop Thermometer from Thermoworks
Chef Alarm with some extra probes from Thermoworks
Custom Grill Grates for my Weber Smoky Joe which cover 90% of the grill area.
Three(3) 13.75" Standard Grill Grates for my Weber 22" Mastertouch Grill which covers around 66% of the grill area.
Variety of Grill Brushes

Oh, I replaced my eleven(11) year old Weber OTG Grill that I bought new in the year 2006 with the Weber 22" Mastertouch Grill.

The OTG was handed-down to my wife's son and is still cranking-out some great Grill-Eats!.

May add a Weber Rotisserie to my BBQ Arsenal sometime this year??

No Plans/Needs on purchasing a BBQ Controller as I am a 80% "Griller".

Last edited:
We have had a really crazy winter. Anywhere from 9 degrees to 78 degrees in a couple of days then all over again, and again, etc. Not to mention four tornadoes in the tri-state area this past couple of days. 25 miles east of here utter destruction. About 20 miles west of here, baseball sized hail. We got lucky...

So, I grill or smoke when I can and don't when I can't. I took my patio canopy down for fear of snow, so rain is a problem until my canopy goes back up.

All of that said, I managed to get almost the last Weber "Hanger" in captivity for my 18.5"WSM. I plan on doing some more Hanging Ribs in the near future. This weekend it'll be Hot Wings using the Vortex.

FWIW,
Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I've got a paycheck from a side-job coming in any day now, some of which will be going toward a new 22" WSM and a CajunBandit smoker conversion for my Jumbo Joe. Planning on doing a few bigger get-togethers this year, so I'll need to extra real estate.

BBQ season is all year down here in Houston. It's been in the 70's for the past week.

For me it's seasonal. To me, bbq and good weather just go together. It's kind of like Christmas needs to be cold. When I lived in TX Christmas just wasn't quite the same.

For me it's seasonal. To me, bbq and good weather just go together. It's kind of like Christmas needs to be cold. When I lived in TX Christmas just wasn't quite the same.

I agree. It's no fun going outside at 2 AM when it's cold. There are also the sounds of summer that are missing. Plus, who wants to crack a beer that's going to freeze when you're not at a football game? lol

I'm sort of in the same boat as Robert being here in Louisville. We also tend to get very high winds frequently. I have a large umbrella on a stand on our patio that I open over the grill and smoker so I do bbq when it's raining as long as its not torrential and 40+ mile an hour winds.

a little CT

aww, c'mon.... anytime you feel like smoking butt or brisket or ribs IS BBQ Season and for the very same reason.
Why wait for the weather to suck up to your standards...?
don't bother me to smoke or grill in 5ºF winter cold... get out of the wind and you're alright... the smoker's alright... I just seem a little strange...
so, surrender to the weather and smoke on!

When life deals you snow and cold, you make a snow sous chef.

JG06Q-IoDCrz11htbR2Zpz5AYgbQnFLPQ_RIJPgHkMTzvnwfduUUURgLHPkrZhv7dnvNPjiEiBJoFRX48HUFZj21dLELiIod3P0GAbV26YwM3-QKtZ2UyxLpHqsdQ3gwIibNBCX9qxG4oIqAabc-Ug7RyzqiYCcPqeDBmo0kfdoiBygzX8IWlme-xn3HvA34PzftXz3jecKIFDGVIFdS5hDB5AYYpl1b7ObJi78L30AcuSacpspzmxb01TIED7G8KdWHr_XxmFwQ7GzpNMbGexVJ9s9t8nrsNS2UgGPeSgs0Corp2nyFj92T8N8XR8GbCq-WiXia1Yq9o-Bd1N5PSZKfhg-5UudHN89PmVuM6kJ3QbplKon76ffhYG3JAiPeG1ai2MJMncpaKbLiUITG0XetlIek2LBAlu6cnvZzhtEpndPuln8zT0mwYPUBHN81ScHQJ3TSH273e3hHeDRtKQ96BQRFVgzxJ3koiwq4TUQC0lqHfgjVpblPLyLDrx3lHM-6gGqDq_Gnybn6W8LVd3d0kqyNvIP-qWWQJVXFRcBYFoS4pPpxJ8LJIb4TzmNL4vuZlnybUho4fc3JXmlDXYE-CuZ_KYRsTlm348vTGhRLMqWg=w1346-h896-no

and fire up the cooker. (a little firewater helps)

OPENLNgVKQuG-64Kx_Z1It8Z2YJ4C7S0QZJ5BN6hsfC_5amExs-2wrVdo_BjLSiT0Cc3eQY3lQN-mc5ze-IrCDCcDGJBOK1jkoVNAdYgOT7m43Am2BXY_G_q30uHHzo-ZUZqW98mcz65xwLEDDMEQbOpHOIQeq9k9B73D6KxKlFMYtmIRvttgpmvnuP1A095bdjHQs2FOLxlGlAz7zn42P-aInbuOczytWW6_Aqk_8XVDH54_Ur8wPKi1-mEsZxRrO890bLCGnwca7lkCzSnfnYNZ4CcoBIhWsPIrMlfXjUsg5a_HjnL7tDyjcYGPaX42K9EhiT8k4zQOFvdynQvYbPUR1QH2stFSi4OI0jQUORBZk50bCGM1KK_h2OVpHi-NOBs5jm8QSAGn4vrnTWlNLSaLFRaIVL6aAp0Ay6mDAKI_1pBFZENrtuf-zo-i4ZmZgd7CMM-3RG7d294sfQBroW9jTx756qKtm9QULvNyRv3ACXaAOdm_B9pDMVLSnlobrEHgzhMTWnrUo4LEU11R5qoiooorS7wZz-Rm0MEFEQFyw1tpxx1otZUVWgg9JrU6qxAtYX0O8MIDMdFp__Dl43tOxb9C3bacGqWsuWMpHGfSmLVC5ZY=w706-h896-no

We have an almost year-round BBQ season here in Madera County CA. Spring has sprung now and I did just buy a new pit for the new season. It's a Chargriller Akorn Jr. It's kinda like an insulated smoky Joe with a cast iron grate. Here is my first cook on it. Tri Tip.

I didn't know they made Acorn Jrs - how neat!

The Acorn is a great pit, they function just as well as the ceramic counterparts. There are plenty of HeaterMeter graphs to prove it! It's my go-to pit in inclement weather

Back