BBQ Season is coming!

SteveCK

TVWBB Pro
I know this is more a general forum post, but I wanted to just talk to my HeaterMeter brothers and sisters......

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm pretty excited for bbq season to come. I know some of you grill all year round but when fall hits I start switching from bbq to stews and braises, and when spring comes around I get pretty heavy into bbq and grilling again. I bought a stick burner this past fall, and I plan on using that thing A LOT, but I still depend on the HeaterMeter and MicroDamper to care of those cooks when I can't sit by the pit and drink beer. Anybody planning on getting a new pit this season? Or anybody just planning on trying new things? What are your bbq aspirations this year?

Last edited:
I received my WSM as a Christmas present. I can't wait to use it more now that I have my HeaterMeter up and running. I've very tempted to cook my first brisket.

BTW I don't miss my stick burner at all. I was happy to give it away for free, no offense Steve.

Enjoy the WSM, its a great cooker, I love mine. No offense taken btw, I think each pit has their own place on the patio. Thats why i have an akorn, uds, wsm, stick burner, and I even still smoke on my kettle.

I'll be firing up both the grill & smoker now, but I have had both running all winter. Even smoked a whole brisket for a coworker's Christmas dinner.

Over the next month, I've got plans for 2 whole briskets.

Here's what I got. May have to get a bigger Fan/Damper. Think the MicroDamper will work?

QMED0Am.jpg

Enjoy the WSM, its a great cooker, I love mine. No offense taken btw, I think each pit has their own place on the patio. Thats why i have an akorn, uds, wsm, stick burner, and I even still smoke on my kettle.

I miss having a Weber Kettle. I'll probably end up getting another one someday. I recently bought a Lodge Sportsman Grill (cast iron hibachi). I've only tried it once and I can't wait to play with it some more.

I found the stick burner was too much work, too hard to clean, too hard to manage temperature, and the food had a bitter taste. The WSM has a nice neutral flavor and then you can add however much smoke flavor you want to add through wood chunks, etc. Even though it's a little bit more expensive I like the ease of just picking up a pack of Kingsford charcoal as needed from the local box store and throwing it in trunk versus filling up the suburban with wood and then stacking it in the backyard.

Last edited:
Going to be warm this weekend, so already getting started for the 'season', have 2 pork butts and a couple fatties ready to go for Saturday.

As for aspirations, I have those too :D I'm considering on building an insulated smoker in the coming months, just not as big as that Texas Monster, LOL

An insulated cabinet smoker? Pretty sweet! I want one

I also want some fatties - I'm all out! I'm cooking for a 50 person party this weekend, I should try to make space to get some fatties in there. They make great white gravy, and delicious on a biscuit with a little dollup of sour cream for breakfast

Back