Lenten grilled projects?

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
In Michigan, really stunning, fresh fish is costly. There are deals to be had from time to time but, as Lent is beginning tomorrow, I am wondering about some more diverse cooks may be accomplished.
As wonderful as grilled salmon, or shrimp may be, I'm feeling somewhat "stale".
Can any other of my "Less than coastal" grilling aficionados offer some options.
Sorry but, farmed salmon (Purina Salmon Chow fed) is sadly lacking in everything I see as flavor. The offering from Scotland (Black Pearl) is pretty good but, it's not as good as wild.
We must appreciate and promote sustainable foodstuffs!

Kalamazoo is spitting distance from L. Michigan.
I thought you'd be out-the-door with good fresh fish selection.
Is that not the case T?

If you want to try something other than fish for Lent, try veggie kabobs or grilled/marinated mushrooms.

Lake Michigan fish is OK whitefish from Lake Superior is better but salmon from the Pacific is better. Besides, I have not wetted a line in 20 years!
I do lots of mushrooms, veggie kabobs always make me wonder where I left the steak! For the record, tofu is not high on my list either. Texture mostly.

Last edited:
Interesting Paulie, I JUST picked some beautiful big shrimp for Friday! Little steaks, and zucchini for tonight.
Tomorrow will be fettuccine with mushrooms for the side. Not certain about it the veg. But, the market will doubtless provide something green and tasty!
Can't really "Feast" too much, it is still Lent after all!

That's farmed Chilean fish, right? Scottish "Black Pearl" farmed fillets are "On Sale" at $12.99/lb. this week. It's better than some of the other farmed goods but, not as good as wild Alaskan or the especially fine "Copper River" salmon but, that's extremely limited (for good reason) and pretty expensive. US farmed U-15 shrimp were $12.99/lb. today so, there we go.

That's farmed Chilean fish, right? .

Yep, it is Farmed in Chile but sure tastes good when charred on my Weber Smoky Joe and Weber Mastertouch Grills!

If I was willing to spend a little more I might try the Salmon from Norway but it is about $35 a Kilo.

We eat Grilled Salmon about 3 times a month.

Beer batter some Swai. Cheap, easy and tastes good.
Made some last nite and the crowd loved it.:)

Pepper & Egg sandwich with a boatload of melted cheese is one of my favorite Lenten lunches.

Tim

Last edited:
Yep, it is Farmed in Chile but sure tastes good when charred on my Weber Smoky Joe and Weber Mastertouch Grills!

If I was willing to spend a little more I might try the Salmon from Norway but it is about $35 a Kilo.

We eat Grilled Salmon about 3 times a month.

If you ever get the chance for the Copper River run, it's the best I've ever had.
Pacific is different in texture, it's firmer, Atlantic is softer texture, IMHO

I have read some disturbing news about Chilean salmon and the use of massive amounts of antibiotics, it's a little scary.

Last edited:
Beer batter some Swai. Cheap, easy and tastes good.
Made some last nite and the crowd loved it.:)

Pepper & Egg sandwich with a boatload of melted cheese is one of my favorite Lenten lunches.

Tim

Both great but the batter always rung through the grates and makes a helluva mess;)!
If I eat more eggs (I LOVE eggs) my wife will never sleep, travel or sit in the same room with me!

One miserable layer of complication, can't (well, really shouldn't) do much shellfish. I allow myself self some but, my doctor would prefer that I stay away from them. The purines are the culprit for gout, have not had a flare in quite a while, would like to keep it that way!
But, damn, I love shrimp, crab, lobster, smoked pretty much anything! All of which are pushing the envelope maybe a little but, like I said, I've been careful! Smoked crab legs sound pretty darned good!
But, I'm getting way off track from the entire Lenten thing, it's not about the yippee, I bought some really expensive stuff, it's about self denial, the FAST, before Easter.
Do fish sticks grill worth a darn?
I'm thinking not very. A piece of salmon yeah, it's available, farm stuff is reasonably priced but, cod loins are running about $4.99/lb. any ideas on interesting things to do with them, grilling wise? Panko breaded and fried is a favorite!

Last edited:
Do a search on KFC or Kettle Fried Chicken.
That should be easily adaptable for fish.

Tim

Im not sure how well that would translate to fish, the time to crisp up the breeding would dry the (drier meat) fish to breaded jerky, chicken holds more moisture.
Not worried about frying, just feeling stale about non meat grilling options, to be honest, I'm kind of tired of salmon. Last nights shrimp was delightful, grilled zucchini, white truffle mushroom pasta to round it off. A little lush for Lent but, I had a guest.

Last edited:
Do you have access to farmed rainbow trout? Often from Idaho, it's much better than farmed salmon IMO.

Back