Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: New decade old Summit vs. New Genesis/Genesis II

TVWBB Super Fan
    I used a product from my detailing arsenal. It is Poorboy's All Purpose Cleaner and Degreaser. It is from www.poorboysworld.com. Companies like Autogeek also carry it. I used it full strength, but it does dilute well for lighter jobs.
    --------------------------
    2014 26.75" Kettle, 2006 18" WSM, Q 220, 2004 Summit Gold D6

TVWBB Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Garth C View Post
    Talk him down on that summit. Start at 200 see if he'll meet at 300. With used always haggle. You never know.
    If I'm asking $700 for something and someone offers me $200, I reach for my gun.
    Drivin' fast and cookin' slow

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Y View Post
    If I'm asking $700 for something and someone offers me $200, I reach for my gun.
    You're killing me here LOL

TVWBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P. View Post
    A new floorpan is around $150. I'll leave that up to the next guy. I hope to list it by the weekend to free up the garage space.
    My $10 Genesis silver also had a rusted out bottom assembly. Much worse than yours. A cheaper alternative would be the wire racks used on the Genesis silver from 2004 or older. The only issue is not having the notches for the doors.

I'm going to use some aluminum angle iron for the front and back frame and use cedar fence boards for the slats. I'll update my post when the project gets completed in a few weeks.
    WSM (DI), Performer black (DR), One Touch Silver 18 red (EI), Weber 900 red (1997)

TVWBB Super Fan
    I started the rehab on the Platinum to get it ready to flip. I brought in a couple of assistants to help with the work. One handles the metal work while the other stresses how important clean shop is.

I'm hoping to knock out painting today and get it reassembled tomorrow so I can start work on my Summit. I'll get a few more pictures along the way too.

They look pretty strict if you ask me :-)

TVWBB Super Fan
    Set up the high end paint booth in the garage this morning and got a coat of Rustoleum Graphite Gray on the inside part of two panels. I used a bonding primer to help bond to the original porcelain coating. The paint is darker than stock, but the closest I could get. Once this stuff is dry, I will use a rust converting primer on the floorpan before painting that too. The stuff takes several hours to dry, so it isn't a quick process.

In the meanwhile, I started polishing the stainless and gray parts of the main grill. It is looking good so far, but the frame itself needs some more work to clean up.

TVWBB Super Fan
    And the grill is done.

As purchased:

After the minor rehab

It got up to 500 degrees in about 6 minutes and 600 degrees a bit later. I could have spent some more time sanding and grinding to smooth out the rust and old paint, but I was looking to do this quick. I used Rustoleum Rust Converter on the bottom panel and their bonding primer on the other panels. Everything got a coat of Rustoleum Graphite since it was as close as I could find to the original color. The only thing it could use is a new drip pan holder as my old one was quite rusted.

Well that looks outstanding

TVWBB Fan
    Looking good Scott.

Take those "Helpers" out for some Ice Cream to celebrate!

Jeff

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast