Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New decade old Summit vs. New Genesis/Genesis II

A 10+ year old "never used" Summit, who'd have thunk it? It would be nice to have, but $700 would probably kill my interest too. Good luck with whatever you end up with. I'd agree with LMichaels, the Spirit is probably something to avoid

If I were shopping for a new grill and wanted to stay under $500, I'd give the Traeger Junior Elite a good look. It's $408 at Home Depot, and looked pretty decent as near as I could tell
    85 78

The mention of CR makes me kind of chuckle. They take brand new products. Test them and they're done. You don't know how it does a year, 2, 3, 4.........down the road. Usually if I ever see CR recommend a product I buy the opposite and find I usually have a much better product :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P. View Post
    I am curious about the age, so I attached a picture.
    This design was new for the 2003 model year and was discontinued at the end of the 2006 model year.

Quote Originally Posted by LMichaels View Post
    The mention of CR makes me kind of chuckle. They take brand new products. Test them and they're done. You don't know how it does a year, 2, 3, 4.........down the road.
    Can't expect CR to test grills over a 20 year period. No different than "JD Powers Initial Quality Awards" for cars which says nothing about how cars will fare 5 or 10 years down the road. These tests only tell you something about a product at a point in time, and that can be valuable. I've always found CR recommendations to be useful, as well as recommendations from Cook's Illustrated, which has given top ratings in the past to Spirit and Performer and the WSM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Allingham View Post
    Can't expect CR to test grills over a 20 year period. No different than "JD Powers Initial Quality Awards" for cars which says nothing about how cars will fare 5 or 10 years down the road. These tests only tell you something about a product at a point in time, and that can be valuable. I've always found CR recommendations to be useful, as well as recommendations from Cook's Illustrated, which has given top ratings in the past to Spirit and Performer and the WSM.
    Funny this came up, sometime around 2003-4 CR came out with a grill test and stated that a four burner grill that Sears sold was the best of the best. Well I was working at Sears in the tool/lawn and garden dept. and could get a nice discount on one, so I bought it. I also had my 1999 genesis 1000 I moved the genesis down to the lower deck and placed the new Sears grill on the upper deck.
    What a pile compared to the genesis, the Sears grill had hot/cold spots all over it and the flare ups were unbelievable. So I took it back, my boss wasn't to happy about it but I did get my money back. Because of that article we had a lot of people coming in to buy one it was really hard to keep my mouth shut, but I did. About two to three weeks later in a staff meeting our boss told us that Sears had stopped selling that grill....to many returns.
    Not bad mouthing CR for it, I've used their guidance many times with great success. Just thought it was funny this came up.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

Me, I have never had luck with much of anything they recommend. I have foolishly followed their advice on tires, car batteries, appliances and such and been so horribly disappointed. Which is why I joked around about always buying the opposite of what they recommend. Though, honestly it's not far from the truth. I.e. one thing I always wondered. For a VERY long time Kenmore appliances came out on top consistently (even against the parent company that made them). I found out it was because one of the people on BOD for Sears also sat on CR BOD. Then it made sense to me

I've trusted consumer reports for years. My father taught me that. I always look at a products performance rating and also that brands past reliability. And in roughly 35 years as an adult of buying appliances, cars etc I can't remember a single time I was steered wrong.

Not a bad track record. I think I'll continue to trust them.

Quote Originally Posted by LMichaels View Post
    For a VERY long time Kenmore appliances came out on top consistently (even against the parent company that made them). I found out it was because one of the people on BOD for Sears also sat on CR BOD. Then it made sense to me
    Unlikely that a single board member could exert such pressure on the testing dept. and risk the reputation of CR to fix results in favor of Sears. I don't buy it.

Anyway, apologies to original poster Scott P. for taking the bait on CR and derailing his thread. If we want to debate the merits CR, let's start a new thread in the Just Conversation forum.

TVWBB Super Fan
    I got my question answered, so it's all good. Besides, I brought this home yesterday. I will start a new thread soon enough to discuss it.

--------------------------
    2014 26.75" Kettle, 2006 18" WSM, Q 220, 2004 Summit Gold D6

TVWBB Super Fan
    Sure, I bring home that beast and something else showed up on cl this morning. It was stock photo of a six burner Summit Platinum, same generation as the one I just bought. He said that this was what it looked like new and that you had to contact him for details. When I did contact him, I ended up with pictures of a 2005 or so Genesis Platinum C, three burner. He replaced the bars and grates with stainless ones five years ago. It needs a good cleaning, but looks to be in solid shape. I might just take the 45 minute drive with my three year old "helpers" tomorrow afternoon to look at that one too.

I am curious to see how it looks in the light and what a good clean up might uncover.
    --------------------------
    2014 26.75" Kettle, 2006 18" WSM, Q 220, 2004 Summit Gold D6

That too could be a great find

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast