Platinum Restoration - paint not sticking

Kevin Parsons

TVWBB Member
I'm restoring a Platinum I and have stripped the end caps from the lid down to bear aluminum and have used Rustoleum high heat to repaint them...i'm not convinced the paint is going to stay. At one point i could scratch it off with my fingernail....is this normal...and does this change after the lid has been heated up nice and hot???

Have others done this? What's your experience?
thanks

Did you wipe them down with lacquer thinner? If you don't painting them is a waste of time and good paint. You need to REALLY degrease them

When I painted my mini-WSM I scuffed it, wiped it down and painted it. A few days later I removed what was left of the paint and used primer.

No I didn't wipe them down. Wish I had now. I may have to start all over again.

I still think getting them powder coated would be better

Did you guys strip the existing paint off 100%

I didn't strip all the paint off mine. I did sand them a bit with steel wool. Then I washed them with simple green. Mine still look good a year later.

I didn't do anything but clean them real good with Simple Green, then painted them. Mine look great after the first year.

Powder coating the outside would be better, but how much will that cost ? FWIW, I've stripped panels down completely, and have also just cleaned them really well before painting and have never had the paint just come right off.

Back