Pulled Pork and Brisket Cook

Bob A

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. So far I have smoked only for my family. My wife has asked that I smoke pulled pork and a brisket for a party of 8-10 people. I would like to smoke them that day with dinner being served sometime after 6. I have read the forum and see where there are high heat methods for both and think that is the way to go. Any suggestions that would help a novice smoker prepare both of these such that I can start and finish on the same day (I do not like over night cooks.) and enjoy the company of our friends.

For example, should brisket or pulled pork go on the top grill? How much meat should I cook? etc. I know my questions are open ended and non-specific, but I am having trouble thinking through the process. Thanks.

A pork butt and a packer would be a healthy meal for 10 people, with plenty of leftovers. Check out the Reknowned Mr. Brown recipe on the home page, for the best pulled pork, ever. I've been doing that same cook for years. For the brisket, a simple salt and pepper rub is all you need. I usually start my cooks at 2 AM, and head back to bed. That gets if done in time for dinner, and in time to enjoy your guests.

High heat brisket info here. You can certainly cook pork butt at the same temperature although they won't be done at the same time so you'll have to check for tenderness. I'd cut a full size butt in half for this and cook it in 2 pieces.

High heat brisket info here. You can certainly cook pork butt at the same temperature although they won't be done at the same time so you'll have to check for tenderness. I'd cut a full size butt in half for this and cook it in 2 pieces.

I will follow the high heat advice contained in that link. I expect that I will smoke just a flat. If I cut the butt in half does that reduce the cook time by much? If so, about how much? I will likely start the butts on the lower grate and add the flat on the top grate later. I will plan to finish the cook around 4:00 so I will have a window if the cook takes longer. As always timing is everything. Thanks.

Cutting in half doesn't reduce cook time much, as Dustin says, but it might work better for you when using the higher temperature for the brisket. I also like it because it increases the amount of bark somewhat.

I know it's late, but it wasn't answered: put the pork on the lower grate. I know I don't want uncooked pork juices dripping on beef.

Back