I she worth saving?

DanPeikes

OK so here is the deal. Someone was giving away this 6 burner Weber Summit Natural Gas. I took it without to much inspection. Upon further review is it a bit rougher than I expected. It looks like it may run but everything on the inside looks a little rustier than I expected especially the flavorizer bars. I can't really test it as I don't have a gas line right now, so before I spend the money to put in the gas line (probably close to $1000) I want to know if people think it is worthwhile to try to clean her up. Also if there is some sort of bottled gas solution that I can use to test it please let me know.
Thanks,
Daniel

PS If you have recommendations for people in the Chicago area that restore grills or install gas line I would appreciate it.

20170219_172349-1024x576.jpg

20170219_172658-1024x576.jpg

20170219_172416-1024x576.jpg

20170219_172610-1024x576.jpg

20170219_172619-1024x576.jpg

What is that last view of? Also do you have the left shelf? If you choose to restore it I think I have a shelf I can sell you. I need to look through my parts though. FWIW in decent shape these are wonderful grills. Very easy to control, perform very well. Could definitely be worth saving. If you decide not to save it though PLEASE PLEASE let me know. I could very well be interested in picking up the cooking grates from you and possibly any salvageable burner tubes and crossover tubes

What is that last view of? Also do you have the left shelf? If you choose to restore it I think I have a shelf I can sell you. I need to look through my parts though. FWIW in decent shape these are wonderful grills. Very easy to control, perform very well. Could definitely be worth saving. If you decide not to save it though PLEASE PLEASE let me know. I could very well be interested in picking up the cooking grates from you and possibly any salvageable burner tubes and crossover tubes

The last picture is of the inside bottom looking right. I can upload more pics over the weekend. I may have the other shelf somewhere. I think I may make a summer project out of this. Any restoration tips would be appreciated.

Still cannot quite place what I am seeing there. Looks like a seam that is rusted away though I have the smaller version of this same grill and I cannot place anything similar

OK so here is the deal. Someone was giving away this 6 burner Weber Summit Natural Gas. I took it without to much inspection. Upon further review is it a bit rougher than I expected. It looks like it may run but everything on the inside looks a little rustier than I expected especially the flavorizer bars. I can't really test it as I don't have a gas line right now, so before I spend the money to put in the gas line (probably close to $1000) I want to know if people think it is worthwhile to try to clean her up. Also if there is some sort of bottled gas solution that I can use to test it please let me know.
Thanks,
Daniel

PS If you have recommendations for people in the Chicago area that restore grills or install gas line I would appreciate it.

20170219_172349-1024x576.jpg

20170219_172658-1024x576.jpg

20170219_172416-1024x576.jpg

20170219_172610-1024x576.jpg

20170219_172619-1024x576.jpg
If the crack in the last picture is in the body, Weber will replace it complete with new igniters - lifetime guaranty. They did on my Silver C.

Do you mean not made anymore as in no longer kept in stock? My Silver C was about 10-years old when they replaced the body for me complete with new igniters and igniter switch. I just had to send them a picture of the crack.

"Not made anymore" was their excuse even though mine was under warranty. Left a VERY VERY bad taste in my mouth for Weber's warranty performance. I won't go long into this. It's fine and dandy when they're "generous" but when they flat out leave a warranted customer hanging with a VERY expensive product...............well that company has lost my trust and enthusiasm You can read some of my posts about it. Thankfully another member came through here and had the same grill and I was able to buy some parts (including the one I needed) from him.

Before I go through the expense or putting the NG line I am going to try and clean her up as a summer project. Maybe wheel her over to neighbor that has a line. I will likely by an LP grill to tide me over for this summer.

@lmichaels Do you have the U support for the left shelf? I have the SS shelf but cannot seem to find the U support. If you have other parts I may also be interested.

Pretty sure mine is a Summit 650 NG. Taking suggestions where to start. This is going to be a big elephant to eat one bite at a time. I want to start with a general cleaning I think. Any advice on that? Should get a pressure washer? Some sort of rust remover or grease remover?

All you really need is some soap, water and I use steel wool on the porcelain enameled parts of the old Genesis's I play with. A hose is even better, because the first layer of crap you scrub off is big stuff, clogs up your drains.

Slainte!

Tim

Opened her up and I was very happy. It looks like I just need new igniters/switches and crossover bars. Very little rust on the box. The rust on the flavorizers and the grates look like it is just on the surface and can be cleaned. Will post pictures over the weekend.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "U Support". The shelf IIRC has a "stud(s)" than go through the bar and screw on with wing nut(s). But I'll have to look again. It's been awhile since I looked at it from under side

I'm not sure what you mean by the "U Support". The shelf IIRC has a "stud(s)" than go through the bar and screw on with wing nut(s). But I'll have to look again. It's been awhile since I looked at it from under side

@Lmichaels thanks, I will post a picture of the right side one I have over the weekend for reference.

OK I understand now. Sorry no I don't have that "bar". Funny I have been seeing more and more grills (Weber and others) with one side or the other either missing or obviously sawed off. Gotta wonder what kind of goof balls screw up a perfectly good grill

Back