I think I'm going to have a tasty weekend!

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
32232623144_3fa47b7788_k.jpg

Saw some sliced short ribs in the case at CostCo today, so asked the friendly meat guy if he could grab me one of the cryovac packages. This is two pieces, that are three bones each.

Not sure I'm going to share..... ;)

Rich

I want to see pics - don't think I've done short ribs myself....... I always seem to enjoy them.

Different than Kalbi (Korean short ribs) I'm guessing?

I will definitely get pics. Been a while since I've done any beef ribs, but plan to season well (maybe with DP Raising the Steaks), and shoot for 5-6 hours at 240'ish. I've got some pork spares to cook up, too, so may vac-pack one of the short rib slabs for a later cook.....really looking forward to this. Beef ribs are one of my favorites, just don't get 'em around here much (I think they keep them in Texas!) :)

R

I went to Costco today, looking into getting a membership. Walked straight back to the meat/seafood area to make my decision and saw those short ribs, along with prime ribeye cap steaks and really nice looking prime NY Strips. All that, along with 9-10lb pork bellies at $2.89lb pretty much made my decision. I didn't actually decide until after I'd left (didn't want to be impulsive, you know). Hopefully, when I go back tomorrow, they still have all that good stuff.

What was interesting to me though was their Choice whole brisket was $4.89/lb. I expected much, much cheaper.

What was interesting to me though was their Choice whole brisket was $4.89/lb. I expected much, much cheaper.

That's interesting, Jim, as I'm pretty sure the Prime whole brisket I saw today at my CostCo was $2.89/lb!

I'm a pretty big fan of CostCo's meat selection, as they pretty much beat any other source here hand's down in a price/quality ratio comparison. There's one local butcher who deals in only artisan pork, grass-fed local beef, and lamb, but his prices make it more of a special occasion thing. We've got three kids at home, so the volume of every day consumables that we go through and can get there make it a no-brainer......when the kids are gone, I don't know if it still will, but I've got a bit of time before that happens!

Rich

Good to know Rich, thanks. Meat is pretty much the reason I'd join. The produce is good, but I think the quantities are just too much for my family of four to make it practical. Meat, on the other hand can be frozen. And since I already have a Foodsaver, there's one less cost to worry about. Wasn't overwhelmed with prices today, but they were pretty good. And very, very good for things that I'd want to splurge on occasionally. Prime beef was pretty much what I'd pay normally for Choice in my local if it weren't on sale. Would be nice if they have more of things like skirt steak, flat irons, etc. And I wish more of the seafood was not farm raised.

All that aside, I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with those short ribs.

My step Dad is the short rib champ with his Guinness Stout sauce. Those look delicious. I will have to give short ribs a try! Cant wait to see the results!

Looking forward to see how the SRs come out. Costco is our place to go for steaks, hamburger, pork belly and ribs, can't beat the quality.

The best I can get @ Costco Business center here in Las Vegas is Choice. Next time my son comes to town, on my hit list to do. Just wished they were Prine ribs though.

I'm looking forward to seeing the pics also Rich. I haven't done short ribs yet but definitely want to. Ive been reading up on doing short ribs and have some boneless out in the freezer so I'm open to any tips/advice you may have.

Back