Help me use my WSM more!

So I have the 18.5 inch WSM. I do use it probably once or maybe twice per year. Usually big party I will cook a brisket. I would like to use it more but I have some pain points some of which are self inflicted and other that arent.

1. I dont like to clean the grill so I end up letting it go and then have to do a mass clean up before I grill. How do you guys do it.
2. Because of my lack of cleaning the top grill has flaked and rusted. I ordered this replacement upper cooking grate but havent received it yet https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01N5A67BY/tvwb-20 If there is a better/cheaper thing for me to be let me know and I can refuse the shipment :) 40 bucks is a little bit expensive to me but thought it was worth it. My reason for getting this grate is for easier cleanup because of the pain associated with the rusted cleanup.

Some mods I was thinking about doing now besides the new cooking grate are the following:

• A hinge lid because I hate putting the lid on a 2x4 sitting on the ground which is what I am doing now.
  • A small shelf to hold the wireless thermometer during the cook or some other place to hang off the temp probe transmitter
  • Maybe a port hole to insert the wireless bbq temp probe that way it no longer has to be clipped onto the bottom of the top cooking grate. I am interested in ideas for how to do this to get a good temperature measurement in the grill. I find that having the probe clipped to the top cooking grill is a pain. If it isnt clipped them its easy to pull out the top grill with the food etc and handle it.
  • I need a new handle of some sort for the front door. The latch portion is just spinning on the knob making it painful right now so suggestions here would be appreciated.
  • Putting handles on the charcoal grate and a cross grill to lower the holes seems like a good idea.

I am looking for tips on cleaning/using and mods I can make that make using the WSM easier so that I use it more. There are other things I would like to do maybe put a new door on and gasket the seals etc but right now I am looking for the most bang for my buck. I dont use it much and if I can use it more then maybe I can justify some of the more expensive mods. FYI being in MN in my recent cooks I dont use water in the bowl. I was going to put foil in this last cook for cleanup but I dont think even a big piece of foil would line the bowl and keep grease from getting inside. So yeah... tips I guess.

Thanks,

Scott

Welcome to the forum Scott. As for the grate you ordered, you will love it. I am going to order a second on for my WSM. The one I have now is for me Performer. I love this grate. I have done most of the mods you have mentioned and they all work well. One thing I would do different would be to do the cut in the lid for the probe wires as I don't like putting them through the metal grommets I used. I will modify the post with a link to this shortly. Good Luck and keep smoking.

This is the link to the slot mod for therm wires.

Check this overall link for most mods.

You will find many here who are always willing to help others. That is what makes this forum so great. Also, everyone here is very friendly. Again, welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
Some thoughts...wrapping the water pan with foil and cooking without water makes cleanup easier. Get in the habit of cleaning the grill the day after cooking. If you have a gas grill, place the WSM grate in the gas grill, burn it off, brush it off, and store it away in a dry location to avoid rust. Dump the ashes and brush out the charcoal bowl. Remove foil from empty water pan and discard. You're done.

Cheaper than a hinge is an undercar oil pan. Place cooker on one end of pan. You can lift lid + middle off the charcoal bowl and place on the pan to light charcoal, or lift lid and place on pan during cooking to service the meat: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000F5XQMO/tvwb-20 as shown here: http://virtualweberbullet.com/patio_photos/chimney.jpg

Small patio side table works for holding thermometer transmitter or placing sheet pan full of meat: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00PG2QA1K/tvwb-20

Or rig a holder using one of these: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000WEMG24/tvwb-20 as shown here: http://virtualweberbullet.com/moretherm_photos/breit-640.jpg

Who cleans there WSM after cooking. All I do is dump the water pan. Place it back in and let the coals burn it off. Put the lid on and shut it down. That way there is no pan of water inside to cause corrosion. The heat dives off moisture, and the fat burns off so it doesn't go rancid. My grates are black and I just knock the chunks off with a wire brush next time I go to cook.

I don't get all wrapped up in cleaning. I bought my WSM to cook with, not to look at.

I appreciate all the comments but I really like how you think JBooker. Just curious though where you pour the water/fat from your water pan? Just into the yard? If I dont use water I could just pour the fat into the old ash from previous cooks. I am thinking about adding a ash bucket to easily store that ash until I can transition it to the garbage can or something. Or does anyone do something different with their ash?

For those of us using empty but foiled pans, we generally don't line the pan in the traditional sense. Instead we place the foil in such a way that a large space exists between the foil and the inside of the pan. Doing so should be relatively easy with a 18.5. I splice two pieces of foil together when foiling my 22.5. Sometimes there is a slight leakage, but never much.

I appreciate all the comments but I really like how you think JBooker. Just curious though where you pour the water/fat from your water pan? Just into the yard? If I dont use water I could just pour the fat into the old ash from previous cooks. I am thinking about adding a ash bucket to easily store that ash until I can transition it to the garbage can or something. Or does anyone do something different with their ash?

I live on the edge of town and normally pour it out in the trees or on my dirt / gravel drive way. Don't pour it on anything you want to say alive as hot / boiling water will kill plants. You could pour it in to a container to let it cool then scoop off the floating solid fat to place it in the trash, then the water would go down the drain. I just prefer to put the empty pan back in the smoker while the coals are good an hot to burn off any residue fat left, and dry the smoker out. I leave the lid off for a few minutes so the fire gets good and hot before placing it back on.

Some thoughts...wrapping the water pan with foil and cooking without water makes cleanup easier. Get in the habit of cleaning the grill the day after cooking. If you have a gas grill, place the WSM grate in the gas grill, burn it off, brush it off, and store it away in a dry location to avoid rust. Dump the ashes and brush out the charcoal bowl. Remove foil from empty water pan and discard. You're done.

On my 18.5" WSM I have the deep water pan. I find it a total PITA to foil it. I am 50/50 using the water pan and terra cotta saucer. When using the water pan I find it easier to just drain power wash it after several cooks. I am going to try something this weekend though. Going to find a cheap shallow to flat aluminum pan that I can foil instead of the water pan to catch the drippings before going into the water pan.

Consider using a hanging rack for many cuts of meat - just a hook or two to clean.
Ditch the water pan altogether & cook direct - no water pan to clean or yucky water to toss.
Quit using the door (is it even of value?) & your trashed handle problem goes away. It will also seal up in a while.
Do the slot mod - makes things easier.
Build a bench or table & use the WSM next to it - you will have a place to put the lid, tray with meat, gloves or whatever.
Tie the coal ring to the charcoal grate with rebar wire - makes filling it & emptying it rather EZ.
Consider a rotisserie ring & spit - you will love what you can do with smoke/rotisserie.
Think about high heat cooks - you will spend less time cooking & get to eat sooner.

Use the search box - you will find tons of information. Spend time watching the different forums - you will get a wide exposure to all facets of WSMs & kettles.

Last edited:
I scrape my grates clean with a wire brush while it's still warm. The pieces just fall into the foiled water pan, turn the grates over and do the underside.

FYI: Those $1 wire brushes from WallyWorld are a breeze to clean even when the bristles are completely clogged with grease and whatnot. I use a plastic coffee container and let the brush soak in Dawn and hot water overnight. In the morning it is fairly grease-free. Any leftover grease can be cleaned out with a bamboo skewer and shaken in the Dawn water until clean then rinsed. It works great.

As for the lid hinge, I didn't like the idea the first time I saw them...still don't. I position my smoker next to one of my picnic tables and over the table with a large single piece of cardboard. One piece usually lasts a season before it gets too bad to use.

Last edited:
I'll 2nd the hanging kit over open coals, cleanup is a whole lot easier and I like how everything tastes thats been hung especially chicken and ribs. That and the lid hinge are my 2 favorite WSM accessories.

IMG_0798_zpszk3pnfl6.jpg

IMG_0637_zpsq6dce98u.jpg

IMG_0430_zpsfooydyjn.jpg

Just placed my order for the GateWay 30 Gallon Hanging Rack for my WSM 18.5" with the "BBQ Guys" based upon the excellent recommendations listed in Post#11 above.

Last edited:
Just placed my order for the GateWay 30 Gallon Hanging Rack for my WSM 18.5" with the "BBQ Guys" based upon the excellent recommendations listed in Post#11 above.
Based on my limited (one rib cook for Smoke Day) experience I think you will like the Gateway rack. If nothing else it will save you a lot of cleanup time. :)

Back