Second try smoking cheese, and I think I screwed up again.

~Mark~

TVWBB Pro
The other day I tried smoking cheese for the second time. I used my 18" WSM and the A-MAZE-N 12 in. Smoker Tube. I was going to use 2 cheddar, 1 extra sharp cheddar, 1 mozzarella, 1 swiss, and one long horn wedges. I filled the tube and got it lit just like the directions say. I put it in the bottom, added the water pan, and since it was going to be about 55 outside I added ice in the pan. I put the cheese on the top rack, and let it go.
ry%3D480

After an hour and twenty minutes everything seemed good.
ry%3D480

I took the cheese off at two hours and thirty minutes. When I took the lid off the smoke smelled MUCH stronger than it did when I looked an hour ago, and the cheese also had a very strong smell to it. I plated it and let it sit in the shop for about an hour before I put it in ziplock bags, then into the fridge it went.
ry%3D480

When I tore down the smoker I found about a quarter cup of water in the bottom of the smoker. Now I'm thinking that the pan condensated, and dripped onto the smoke tube making the smoke turn funny.

Now I'm afraid that the cheese is going to taste like an old creosoted railroad tie.
Live and learn, Next time I'm going to put the smoke tube as far to one side as I can so this doesn't happen again.

Has anyone else had this happen, and what did you end up doing with the cheese?

The only time I have smoked cheese was years ago on a little chief which at the time was all I knew about smokers. I think the smoke flavor will mellow as the cheese ages a little. Plus many people soak their wood chips before smoking. I think you're going to be fine! Looks like a considerable investment in the cheese and it looks really yummy. Good job.

I'm far from an expect but had a very good first attempt at smoking cheese on my WSM and just did a 2nd batch this past weekend. I started a photo thread but both times I've done mine, I filled my Pan with water and put in my deep freeze a few days ahead of time... it was frozen hard and solid when I started my smoke. The first time I had the tube in the middle of the lower coal grate right under the water pan and I didn't notice any condensation or water in the lower bowl at the end of the smoke (and the ice in the water pan was about 50% melted). For my 2nd smoke I did move the pellet tube over to the side of the grate just in case (someone replied on my thread to be cautious of water dripping on the tube). Again didn't notice any wet water in the bowl and the ice was maybe 75% melted on the 2nd try (was 10-15+* warmer outside the 2nd time).

I would wrap it up or vac seal it and give it a few weeks and give it a taste... if it's awful, toss it and try again... was only 6 blocks of cheese so you are not out tons of $$ (unless your using a lot more expensive cheese than I am). :)

-W

what pellets did you use?

One thing I've noticed is that the dry cold smoke really loosens the build-up on the lid, I'm careful to brush it & knock any loose particles loose.

If it doesn't mellow to your liking, try cutting the edges off & see if the inside still tastes good to you. LMK how it works if you try that please

Cold-smoking Cheese is harder than it looks, Clint made it look easy. His advise above sounds solid to me

Clint makes almost everything look easy!
Temperature is going to drop back nearer
Normal this weekend around here (around mid-lower 30's) and I've been toying with the idea of cold smoking some cheese using my tube on an empty, unfired gasser (simply using it as a "box")
Any opinions, Clint?

Last edited:
Clint makes almost everything look easy!
Temperature is going to drop back nearer
Normal this weekend around here (around mid-lower 30's) and I've been toying with the idea of cold smoking some cheese using my tube on an empty, unfired gasser (simply using it as a "box")
Any opinions, Clint?

:) thx :)

I considered doing that myself, heck, I saw a video of a guy cold smoking stuff in a cardboard box :)

You could put the smoke tube below the grate (on the flavorizer bars) , maybe a third from one side, and put the cheese(s) on the other side. I use wood chips all the time in my smoking pouch & in this tube once, you could press/shape the foil to the flavorizer bars or the drip tray if you want to catch the ashes (probably a good idea), just leave room for airflow all around the tube. Could also just put the smoke tube right on the grate with foil under the grate even, just keep some distance between the cheeses - there's not much heat but maybe think of the smoke tube as a very slow burning cigar (some heat).

If you're concerned about too much smoke, start with a small amount of cheese, and maybe only fill the tube 1/2 way (on end), then tip it on its side & hit it with the torch....let it flame up for a second, blow it out, repeat if you think it needs it.

I say do it and post the results!

One last thing, I've seemed to leave mine out for I don't know, maybe an hour after pulling off, then into ziplock bags left open set in my fridge's deli drawer over night. I haven't noticed the normal condensation, so I don't know much about storing this stuff yet.

Thanks for all the advice.
I can't wait to try it again.
This time I'm going to offset the tube, freeze the water and cut down on my smoking time.

It's been a week since I smoked my cheese, and I had to give it a try. My fear was justified, because the cheese tasted like what I think a burnt manure spreader tire would taste like. I cut the outside edges off to see if that would help, but it didn't.
I don't mind failure, it's the price for perfection, so I'm going back at it Monday. My brother said in a text, "It's all about doing it right, then doing it again until it's Right On!"

We have successfully smoked cheese several times. We do it when the temps are cold (you don't want to get the cheese over 90 degrees. We use only Apple pellets (less expensive per pound if you buy a bag from the local Traeger dealer. Our tastes, using the 6" Amazen Smoke tube, is to only smoke one and one half hours, then remove the cheese. Let it set on the kitchen counter to disipate the condensation on the cheese. Then, using tongs vacuum pack the cheese. Do NOT TOUCH THE CHEESE WITH YOUR HANDS (it promotes mold). Let the cheese rest two weeks in the refrigerator before eating put the remainder of the vacuum packs in the freezer.

Whatever you do, do NOT put the cheese in the refrigerator without sealing it - your whole refrigerator will smell like a smoke bomb.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?48...on-the-Mini-Joe-Gold&highlight=Smoking+cheese

FWIW
Dale53

Robert McGee
How was the texture of the cheese after it was frozen?
I'm planning on freezing a lot once I get the timing down.

Mark - If you vac sealed the cheese just let it sit in your fridge, over time the creosote smoky flavor will go away. I always want to taste the smoked cheese after a week and I'm always disappointed but if I wait a few months it tastes unbelievable.

I never freeze smoked cheese. As long as it is vac sealed properly, it will last a lot longer than your will-power will to not eat it. I've had some smoked pepper jack that I let go two years in my fridge, it came out incredible. You could always wax your cheese, there are a ton of vids on youtube. Here is one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA99GYl09jQ

The longer the cheese sits the more mellow but intricate the smoke flavor becomes. Enjoy and make sure to smoke some more cheese. Summer sure seems a lot longer once you run out of cheese and have to wait for the cooler weather to restock.

I would like to offer some suggestions on this topic. I'm still a novice at smoking cheese, but everyone seems to really enjoy the finished product. First, I smoke in my WSM 22 with the A-Maze-n maze. I place the maze in the center of the charcoal grate with the charcoal ring removed so I get better air flow. When temps are in the low to mid 30's(degrees) I fill up a little more then one row with apple wood pellets and light both ends. No water or ice is added to reduce moisture. I then place the cheese on the top grate, leaving about a 1/2" of space in-between the blocks of cheese. With all vents wide open I'll let it smoke for 2.5 to 3.5 hrs. I then remove the cheese with tongs and place on a cooling rack for a few hrs.(this helps remove any moisture). Once settled I'll loosely cover the cheese and place it in the fridge for an overnight rest. The next day I'll label and vacuum seal. In about 7 days we can enjoy the fruits of our labor. I never freeze cheese as is changes the composition of the cheese(turn crumbly). Vacuum sealed the cheese will last for at least a year. If for some reason a little mold starts to grow(never experienced it) you can just cut it off. If the temps are warmer 40 - 50+ I only light one end of maze. It seems cheese takes on more smoke when it's warmer. Hope some this helps some.

Chris

I just wanted to let everyone know that after the cheese mellowed out my son gave it a try and we killed a lot more than we should with some good stout beer and crackers. He took the rest home with him, so I'm going to do more this week.

Back