Cutting Board

BobCef

TVWBB Member
Just finishing up a cutting board I made. It's maple and walnut. Still have to rout a drip grove.

cutting board.jpg

That's a beaut, Bob!! I envy your woodworking skills! Reminds me of my board, made by a master woodworker friend of mine. Mine's walnut and ash.....may I recommend a DEEP groove when you do rout it out? Love mine (try to ignore the roast!):

31508221370_333e2fd4ee_k.jpg

R

Thanks Rich That's a beautiful board your friend made. I was thinking 1/2" wide by 3/8" deep What do you think?

Last edited:
Bob, that's some pretty curly maple! I hope it's scrap from making beautiful mandolins, violins or, banjo necks!
Nice board!
I'm a VERY LUCKY guy, some friends of long standing (never "old") are top notch instrument makers, cabinetmakers, and artists of many genres, design with respect to best use of material is important to all of them. My grill table is repurposed stock from cypress brewery vats! I have smoke wood from another friend who gifts me a nice big box of "short cut" cherry he uses for winter heating, maple for my small projects (like handles) from both guys! Great ways to be responsible!

That's a beautiful board. Looking at that, it reminded me of High School Woodshop. A lot of the guys made those (obviously not the quality of yours). I went with the small cabinet, which I still have. Hey Rich, if you check back in, why on earth would I ignore that roast!

Last edited:
That is a gorgeous cutting board, Bob! Love the light and dark color contrast. What are the dimensions?

Bob, that's some pretty curly maple! I hope it's scrap from making beautiful mandolins, violins or, banjo necks!
Nice board!
I'm a VERY LUCKY guy, some friends of long standing (never "old") are top notch instrument makers, cabinetmakers, and artists of many genres, design with respect to best use of material is important to all of them. My grill table is repurposed stock from cypress brewery vats! I have smoke wood from another friend who gifts me a nice big box of "short cut" cherry he uses for winter heating, maple for my small projects (like handles) from both guys! Great ways to be responsible!

Thanks Rich Yes that is some rips off of some curly maple. I use scraps of curly maple, cherry and oak in my smokers. I read that walnut is too harsh so I haven't tried it. Let see that grill table. Have your friends check out my website. http://rctonewoods.com/RCT_Store/

That is a gorgeous cutting board, Bob! Love the light and dark color contrast. What are the dimensions?
Thanks Ed It's 9 1/2 x 23 1/2 only because thats what I had on hand at the time. Seems like it should be fine,

That's a beautiful board. Looking at that, it reminded my of High School Woodshop. A lot of the guys made those (obviously not the quality of yours). I went with the small cabinet, which I still have. Hey Rich, if you check back in, why on earth would I ignore that roast!
Thanks Cliff. Much appreciated.

I've been thinking of making some boards to sell. Here's one I made for the Mr's

cuttingboard2.jpg

Last edited:
I had one once that had a "guitar shaped" blood gutter made out of maple from the Gibson company! I should have not given that one away! Why am I so generous?!

Bob, I missed your question about the dimensions of the groove..... I just measured the one I have, and it's 3/4" wide, with a depth that is about 1/4" (I don't have a great tool for measuring the depth.....) When I carved the roast I posted above, there was quite a bit of juice on the board, and this groove caught it all without spillover......

R

Bob, I missed your question about the dimensions of the groove..... I just measured the one I have, and it's 3/4" wide, with a depth that is about 1/4" (I don't have a great tool for measuring the depth.....) When I carved the roast I posted above, there was quite a bit of juice on the board, and this groove caught it all without spillover......

R
OK thanks Rich.

Great looking board!

Was just digging through my scrap pile trying to find enough to build a tortilla press. Looking like purple heart, maple and I don't know what else so far.

Great looking board!

Was just digging through my scrap pile trying to find enough to build a tortilla press. Looking like purple heart, maple and I don't know what else so far.

Thanks Case So what do you do that you have purple heart and maple scraps?

Back