2005 Genesis silver c rehab help

Tom A.

TVWBB Member
I picked up an abused Genesis silver c yesterday for $10. Needed a major cleaning for sure.

The good:
The porcelain coated grates are in excellent but greasy condition.
The plastic work surfaces are also in great condition.
Side burner in great condition
Minimal rust on the frame.

The bad:
Need new burner tubes
Need new flavorizer bars
Paint on the aluminum lid sides and firebox is peeling/chipping
The bottom panel on the cart is rusted

I priced out a replacement bottom panel and it is going for over $150! There are other bottom panels for other weber models for under $30 but not for the one I need. The bottom panel model is 60427.

Anyone have some workarounds for the bottom panel?

Pics below

image_zpsancmuwyq.jpeg

image_zpspfue9aqd.jpeg

Why not just make one? Cut the bad parts away and pop riven some new material in there, paint it no one will know

Not sure if you took a look at the photo. There is nothing on that bottom tray that is salvageable. I could use a wire rack that was used in the earlier Genesis gold models but it will be close to $60 with shipping.

I've been inspired by other who have used cedar fence panels and will fabricate a bottom tray. Pics will be posted in a few weeks when completed.

Here is a picture of my bottom accessory panel. I used aluminum angle iron ($11) for the front and back supports and cedar fence slats ($3.69 x2). Rough sanded with 60 grit and 3 coats valspar urethane (no stain). I'm very pleased with the results.

IMG_0577_zpswpphwjxt.jpg

I've also included a picture of the replacement side table and swing up table for my redheaded 900 series. I used the same cedar planks but used a reddish stain (Minwax Gunstock) before applying the 3 coats of the urethane. The lid handle was sanded stained and finished as well.

IMG_0578_zpszrmdqzbg.jpg

That inside shelf looks great. Sorry though you did a good job on the side table I am not a fan of the look of the big wide slat

Agree with LMichaels about the wide slats but you still did a great job on the rehabs. Very impressed with your work.

Sometimes you use material at hand. Yes, four or five slats might have been more elegant but, it looks quite grand in my opinion!

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments. I don't own a table saw so making thin slats would have been a challenge with a circular saw. I needs all my fingers!

I picked up an abused Genesis silver c yesterday for $10. Needed a major cleaning for sure.

The good:
The porcelain coated grates are in excellent but greasy condition.
The plastic work surfaces are also in great condition.
Side burner in great condition
Minimal rust on the frame.

The bad:
Need new burner tubes
Need new flavorizer bars
Paint on the aluminum lid sides and firebox is peeling/chipping
The bottom panel on the cart is rusted

I priced out a replacement bottom panel and it is going for over $150! There are other bottom panels for other weber models for under $30 but not for the one I need. The bottom panel model is 60427.

Anyone have some workarounds for the bottom panel?

Pics below

image_zpsancmuwyq.jpeg

image_zpspfue9aqd.jpeg

I know this post is old but I have the same grill and the same problem. I want to keep the doors to keep my Golden Lab from licking the drip tray. So if anyone has this same grill with the same condition, and doesn't want to fabricate a solution, you can buy this very expensive part (worth more than the grill).

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/bottom-accessory-panel-p-1476753.html

EDIT: Do not be confused by Weber part #60425. I mistakenly bought this (instead of asking the wiser forum members prior) and ended up with the wrong panel. If you have the Gold C just do what Stefan H did. I have yet to find a affordable solution for my Silver C since my rotten pan is what the doors sit on. Stefan's fix will not work for my Silver C unfortunately.

Last edited:
I know this post is old but I have the same grill and the same problem. I want to keep the doors to keep my Golden Lab from licking the drip tray. So if anyone has this same grill with the same condition, and doesn't want to fabricate a solution, then just buy the part. It is not much money in my opinion:

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/bottom-accessory-panel-p-1477017.html

If this link eventually dies then just search for Weber part #60425.

-----------------------------------------------------

Fred, the bottom panel model #60425 you are linking to for $31 is not the correct panel for the Silver C. That is
the panel that is used in the Spirit.
The Silver C requires the bottom panel model# 60427. It is much higher at $180

Good catch Dave. Yes the bottom shelf in Fred‘s link is for the shorter wheelbase Silver B or Spirit.
The long wheelbase Silver C and Gold C do require the longer but also much more expensive shelf. The high price was the reason I made my own.

"I want to keep the doors to keep my Golden Lab from licking the drip tray. "

Aarrgg. My Lab does the same thing. I've had to search the yard to find it. And the hanger he pulled out of the bottom of the grill. I Know the open cart is desirable for rust reasons, but I think when/if I find a good deal on a 3000 in good shape I'm gonna go for it.

My Genesis Platinum has the same problem. I am almost done (ugh everything takes SO long:() with making and installing horizontal frame tubes. The back one was a simple job, but the front one requires drilling holes for the door hinge posts, the door bottom catches and to attach a door stop. Even with carbon steel bits, drilling through stainless tube frames is not very easy for this weekday accountant. I also lost my door hinge grommets, and of course Weber will only sell complete bottoms and not the grommets :mad:. I plan to make durawood slat trays for the bottom.

Last edited:
-----------------------------------------------------

Fred, the bottom panel model #60425 you are linking to for $31 is not the correct panel for the Silver C. That is
the panel that is used in the Spirit.
The Silver C requires the bottom panel model# 60427. It is much higher at $180

Oh crap... Well I hadn't installed it yet and sure enough I failed on that one. I was going to switch gears and go with Stefan H's cedar board fix but on my Silver C the hinge pin goes into the rotten pan. It looks like maybe the Gold C is a bit different. It is like the Gold C doors go into a frame rail vs. just into the pan. Painful lesson learned. I will edit my post to warn others of my blunder.

Back