Smoked Cheese help

Ashley Ruthstrom

TVWBB Member
aviary-image-1487631524865_zps44lcjubr.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

As you can see i probably smoked way to much cheese due tonit being on sale at the local supermarket. I should have just done a little bit for the first run but i felt confident due to everyone else having luck. I purchased a smoker tube and apple pellets. I smoked the cheese on a windy below 30 degree day for 3 hours and not more. The cheese has been vacuumed sealed for 3 weeks....and still tastes like a camp fire. Has anyone else had this problem or did i over smoke.

Sorry to hear the flavor isn't what you were looking for, I have to believe that the smoke flavor will subside some over time when unsealed

Mine's still real strong too but I like it. I gave the neighbors a variety pack from my first time & they said one was real smokey (they all were :) ), and I gave another block away yesterday to a friend to take home & he & his wife put it away within a couple hours (loved it per messages).

Maybe try cutting it thinner..... I had some on a pulled pork panini yesterday & it was pretty smokey but good. I hope you like it or someone else chimes in... I'm new at it too.

I smoked them both around 6 hours....I'm interested in trying some other cheeses too.

>>>I think the smoke's just on the surface, so you might clip off an edge or two of a slice & lessen the smoke flavor. I sent another variety pack home with another friend, & he said his wife was the one mainly getting it, I hope people aren't just being nice :)

edit>>>>> I just had a couple more slices by themselves and liked it, including an edge piece, then I put some more in a pan with baked potatos, ham, and 3 eggs & scrambled it all up. I used Smokehouse hickory pellets, if that makes any difference

Last edited:
put the cheese in a large zip lock bag and let it bloom a little longer you should be fine.

When I store cheeses (usually pepper jack or med/sharp cheddar, like a ~2# tilamook baby loaf) I'll put a paper towel or two in the 1 gallon ziplock bag to absorb any moisture and seems to help it last longer; I'll replace the paper towel every 3-5 days if it ever feels damp. It's usually gone by 10 days or less.

I vac bagged my last batch, some from the first too, and just put it in the fridge, hoping it'll last. When I freeze the above mentioned cheeses (not smoked), it seems fine but seems to crumble more.

Any pointers on how to store smoked cheese or cheese in general? Think vac bagged in the fridge is good for long-term storage?

When I store cheeses (usually pepper jack or med/sharp cheddar, like a ~2# tilamook baby loaf) I'll put a paper towel or two in the 1 gallon ziplock bag to absorb any moisture and seems to help it last longer; I'll replace the paper towel every 3-5 days if it ever feels damp. It's usually gone by 10 days or less.

I vac bagged my last batch, some from the first too, and just put it in the fridge, hoping it'll last. When I freeze the above mentioned cheeses (not smoked), it seems fine but seems to crumble more.

Any pointers on how to store smoked cheese or cheese in general? Think vac bagged in the fridge is good for long-term storage?

This is just my thinking and I have no proof to back it up but it works for me. After I smoke the cheese I put the cheese in a zip lock bag or plastic wrap instead of vac sealing it to let the cheese "breath" and put it in the garage fridge. That first week the fridge smells like rancid smoke to the point I don't like opening it to get anything out of it. Usually the cheese has mellowed out after the second week and is edible. At this point if we have more cheese than we can eat in a reasonable amount of time I will vac seal it. Like I said I have no proof my technique/thinking is correct, I'm probably full of it, but it works for me so i stick with it. I also look for the cheese that has the longest expiration date.

Last edited:
This is just my thinking and I have no proof to back it up but it works for me. After I smoke the cheese I put the cheese in a zip lock bag or plastic wrap instead of vac sealing it to let the cheese "breath" and put it in the garage fridge. That first week the fridge smells like rancid smoke to the point I don't like opening it to get anything out of it. Usually the cheese has mellowed out after the second week and is edible. At this point if we have more cheese than we can eat in a reasonable amount of time I will vac seal it. Like I said I have no proof my technique/thinking is correct, I'm probably full of it, but it works for me so i stick with it. I also look for the cheese that has the longest expiration date.

Your opinion is good enough for me! I'm surprised to hear "rancid" mentioned, or really anything other than good.

Walking by my smoker even days later, it has a very strong smell like hickory..... just a very deep smoke, smokier than the WSM has ever smelled. Days after my first smoke I could smell hickory near a window that was ~20' from the smoker.

Sure would be nice if we could taste compare each others finished product.

Back