Chuck-The-Used-Charcoal

Richard Garcia

TVWBB All-Star
In my BBQ Cooking arsenal I have a WSM 18" "Classic"; Weber 22" "Mastertouch Grill "; Weber Smoky Joe; so, after each cook I always "chuck" the non-burnt charcoal the next day.

Reason: Vaguely Recall reading a couple of BBQ Pitmaster Books stating that never use the non-burnt charcoal due to it giving out some foul odors from the previous cook's grease drippings and penetrating your food on the next cook.

Last edited:
ok.

for as long as I can remember (going back at least 30 years), I've been using my unburnt, still decent sized used charcoal from yesterday or the day before.

hmmm. who'da thunk?

Yea I just shake it or rake it down to knock off any ash. The only issue may be if your grilling fish and let the oils sit for awhile on the coals and fire it up days later.

Tim

We use a 22" and 18" Kettle (meat over drip pan), and a 22" WSM, and always reuse the charcoal. Never had an issue with odors from reuse. There are a lot of myths when it comes to BBQ, this sounds like it could be one of them.

I put all my unburned charcoal in a bag, and when I lite wood either for fire pit or cooking, I use the used charcoal to light the wood

I put all my unburned charcoal in a bag, and when I lite wood either for fire pit or cooking, I use the used charcoal to light the wood

Now that is a good idea... I'm stealing this one. Normally put new lit ones on top of the remaining pile, so I use about 1/2 compared to a "clean" grate.

Yeah, after fish I tend to start fresh but, otherwise reuse reduce recycle makes sense to me. I've always used about a half chimney of fresh on the bottom and tailings of the previous cook on top. Touch it off and get to it!

I always, I mean ALWAYS, fill my smokers full of new charcoal. I can absolutely depend on the consistency when doing long cooks and that is important to me. Right after I take off the food, I immediately close all vents. The next day, I shake down the charcoal (my charcoal rings are wired to the charcoal grate with SS wire) and dump the left over coals in one of my grills. I re-use ALL left over charcoal on my grills.

Never had a problem using this leftover charcoal. Over a years time, it represents a good bit of change, too.

"Waste not, want not"...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I always reuse my charcoal in my kettles. When I use my WSM I always use fresh but anything that is leftover goes in my Performer.

I reuse it - the larger pieces that don't fall through the charcoal grates. Have done it forever. I have a can with a lid I store it in.
I only use new if I'm doing long cooks or the used charcoal is gone.
I do prefer new in a chimney for MM. It starts faster, however that's only 8 - 12 briquettes.

Last edited:
I am with Pat. Always new in the WSM but used from both the WSM and the Performer are used in the Performer. Never any taste issues or other problems. Just my 2 cents.

I always reuse my charcoal in my kettles. When I use my WSM I always use fresh but anything that is leftover goes in my Performer.

I am with Pat. Always new in the WSM but used from both the WSM and the Performer are used in the Performer. Never any taste issues or other problems. Just my 2 cents.

Agree with Bob and Pat G new for smoking and used for grilling. My JJ has never seen new charcoal. Used works great if just doing a quick cook, never had any strange odors or tastes. Been doing it for as long as Mr. Lampe (hate to admit I'm that old:p).

I reuse whatever is left in the WSM. What creates heat in my WSM stays with my WSM... like Vegas...
(*Almost) always full to the brim. The * is for the first snake method used just yesterday :)

When using a long cook method in a WSM or, its brethren, I can surely see the preference for "new bullets"! But, this is the "grilling" (typically faster use) forum hence, my thought are more inclined to see the reuse being more economical. I would say frankly, more responsible. Why throw away three beers from a six pack just because you didn't drink them all at once?
On a long kettle, WSM, whatever cook when you need HOURS of consistent heat, it makes perfect sense. When the long cook is over, don't waste! Reuse the half used coal for a nice fillet of salmon! I would in a heartbeat, I'm "underemployed" and frugality is important! "Frugal" does not mean "Cheap" it means getting 20 pounds of charcoal out of an 18.6 lb. bag.
Now, I'm hungry! Using leftovers from a wonderful cook for dinner..... frugally! Would I prefer a 2" ribeye? YOU BET!
Have a nice evening folks.

Well, I'm with some of the Members.
Whatever is left in the kettle or WSM is covered with new lit coals.
Honestly I have never noticed a difference from using all new vs leftovers.:)

Tim

Back