Advice for Genesis 1000 rehab please

JStone GA

I have a 99 Genesis 1000 red head. Picked up off craigslist 12 years ago and replaced all the guts best grill I've ever had.... We moved and the bottom tray fell off :( Slider rails rusted.. I ordered more and tried taking the screws out and now two of the screw holes in the firebox are busted!! Any advice?? Ive picked up some jb weld but the package says will only withstand heat to 300degrees - I can't say bye to this grillhttp://imgur.com/a/2s4wN

I think jb weld makes a high heat product good up to 550 degrees. I think I remember someone on here using it like you are talking about. Hopefully someone chimes in.

When you say the holes busted I'm not sure what you mean and I can't tell from the picture? If the holes are just stripped out couldn't you fasten the rails through the holes with stainless bolts and nuts?

There has to be a way to fix it. When I refurbed my old 1000 removing those slider rail screws and the main frame bolt was the toughest job. Luckily mine came out with lb blaster and a lot of patience.

Good luck.

Like Greg said, there are a lot of approaches to fix your frame rails. What exactly is the problem? Did the heads come off the screws? A picture of the actual problem, close up would be very helpful for us, and therefore, for you.

Slainte!

Tim

Last edited:
Hey guys I just wanted to thank you all - I used the quick steel and it worked perfectly it was quick and easy! It's been awhile but we have a 2yr old so at least it got done!

It's good to know that worked as it's not uncommon.
I have shot my grill with IR thermometer and I don't think the bottom of the grill gets very hot. I seem to remember that when the firebox is 550 or so the bottom of the firebox was under 175 degrees.

It that was the case you'd never have a grease fire. Has to get much hotter than that to account for how easily they can catch fire if not cleaned

Back