Cured Smoked Pork Tenderloins

Shawn W

TVWBB Emerald Member
I flavor brine cured pork tenderloins with rosemary, thyme and garlic. Here they are after a rinse and 3 hours of fridge drying time with some white pepper sprinkled on:
20170217_111229_zpsmmiibz8m.jpg

After about 16 hours of 150ºF the tenderloins looked, felt and smelled done. The only issue was that at that low of a temp the outside didn't develop much color. So what I did was turn my oven on to 190ºF, mixed up 3/4 honey to 1/4 water, and basted the tenderloins a few times over an hour or so. They came out with a real nice color.
20170218_112955_zpsqah4uk7m.jpg

After another chill session ready for slicing and packaging:
20170218_195410_zpsrrklqyty.jpg

20170218_195432_zps3rfkcrmn.jpg

This stuff is so good I am stunned. I used my keg (insulated steel kamado) for this but I still wanted to post it here. Running a keg that low for that long is virtually unheard of but TVWBB and it's members taught me everything that made this cook possible so thanks to all!

Here is my first cook using the smoked cured pork tenderloins: eggs benedict using a half bagel because I had no English muffins. I filled the centre with hollandaise sauce.

20170219_130400_zpsc8wsitcn.jpg

Last edited:
Great job. I did some a while ago thinking I was doing loins (elevator does not go to the top floor sometimes).
I KNOW you did good.

Here is my first cook using the smoked cured pork tenderloins: eggs benedict using a half bagel because I had no English muffins. I filled the centre with hollandaise sauce.
Looks fantastic Shawn, and it looks like your set for several cooks

Thanks all!

Yes, please ;)

And like Bob asked: How long in the brine and wat salt percentage?

I used 3% salt, 1% sugar, nitrites at 200ppm and just enough liquid to cover. They sat in the brine for 8 days.

20170209_145253_zpsjiylywlj.jpg

I put granulated garlic, dried rosemary and thyme leaves into 1/3 of the liquid and simmered a couple minutes to extract flavor, then cooled down in chilled water to 40ºF before adding to the meat.

Back