Some of it's Magic some of it Tragic

Bill Schultz

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Been a crazy few months for us here and like the song say's some of it tragic. I have not had a lot of time to be involved with our community, I apologize for that. Lost one of my best friends after a strong fight to cancer and after dealing with that cooking seemed to back burner stuff.
So last night I had his wife here for a dinner and did a nice meal for her. Thought I'd share to get back into the swing of things. Here's what we had.

Been doing Sous Vide more lately, love it. Prime boneless Rib Eye vacum bagged with fresh Thyme.

DSC03963_zpsb40nyxdd.jpg

Some Gus wrapped in Bacon and drizzled with a sauce. 1/4 cup light brown sugar, 1/2 stick of butter, 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce, 1/2 Tsp Garlic Salt and some fresh ground. In the oven at 400 for 35 min.

DSC03964_zpsgspjh1ir.jpg

Small potatoes dressed with EVOO, Herbs De Provence S&P in with the Gus

DSC03965_zpswj1sm7se.jpg

Went to a wine tasting last month and had two of the best wines we ever had, if you get a chance to try here they are

DSC03967_zpsz8btxzoh.jpg

Steaks on the CI for a quick sear, came out perfect

DSC03970_zpsdarewcet.jpg

Made some Tartine for us

DSC03966_zpsk3wrmo9u.jpg

Nice meal, wonderful Lady joining us. Good Wine. Some of it's Magic

DSC03971_zps3pwcf97n.jpg

Last edited:
Very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend Bill, sadly it goes with the territory of us all getting older.

Happy to see one of your cooks, everything looks fantastic!

I know your pain Bill, I'm hitting the big six ooh and a couple friends didn't make it. These things help put things into perspective, at least for me, so some good comes out of it. You haven't missed a thing, you dinner is simply amazing, absolutely amazing!

The meal looks lovely, and I bet that it was good for all of you to be together for some food and companionship. I've always found cooking to be very cathartic when life deals a hard blow, hopefully you'll find that too as you return to your passions. See you 'round!

Rich

Sorry for your loss Bill. It is great that you could have her over for that outstanding looking meal. I'm sure your friend was smiling down on you during the get together.

I too, am sorry to hear your sad news, Bill...

food and Buffett tunes tend to ease us back from the unpleasant facts of life.
certain your friends wife felt most relaxed and enjoyed your culinary expertise.

Like the others, so sorry to hear of your loss Bill. It was a wonderful gesture by you and your wife to cook that delicious meal. I'm sure everyone came away feeling a little better. Love the bread. Haven't done any Tartine yet, but it's on my radar.

Sorry for your loss Bill, nice to hear that that beautiful dinner took a little of the edge off. Glad you're back you were missed.

We have missed your informative top notch cooks and bread on this forum Bill. Beautiful Sous Vide steak, bacon wrapped asparagus, and spuds.
Sorry for your loss, its hard too lose a best friend, Ill tilt a glass of wine tonight in your best friends honer.

Sorry to read about the passing of your friend, Bill

Glad to see you back in the saddle. The dinner looks beautiful.

Bill, you demonstrate one of the best aspects of this site and cooking that's filled with care. There's a great Penzey's bumper sticker on the door of our fridge: Love people. Cook them tasty food.

Sorry for the loss of your friend Bill. In my family since I was growing up we always use food and laughter to get through the tough times. There is no more comforting duo. Great meal.

Bless your heart; that savory meal and kindness undoubtedly helped soothe her (and your) hearts.

You're a good man Bill. And I have missed your cooks. This one looks outstanding, as always. I would happily have paid top dollar for a plate.

Sorry to hear this Bill, so sad to loose our friends.
Nice of you to fix such a nice meal for his wife.

Back